Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Currently with Godaddy but their controls panels etc are a PITA. Any new recommendations? Basic WP sites, minimal support needed if online documentation is explicit. I'm in Japan so if they had 24 hr support via live chat etc that would be nice.

Also when I switch hosting providers what happens to the mail that is in my OSX Mail inbox since mail on the previous server will be erased?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Your mail should be fine. Just make sure you download it all of server before it is shut down. Will just stay in you mail.app. I use pair.com for hosting the websites I manage. Little more expensive than most but support is bar none the best you can get. Support is 24/7 both phone and chat.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Your mail should be fine. Just make sure you download it all of server before it is shut down. Will just stay in you mail.app. I use pair.com for hosting the websites I manage. Little more expensive than most but support is bar none the best you can get. Support is 24/7 both phone and chat.

I see their 24/7 phone but don't see an online chat. Do they still have it?

How are they for WP support and what are they using? Also what are their control panels for account settings like? Easy to change name servers, add mailboxes, check webmail and everything? Godaddy was like a maze and got really frustrating.

Most reviews have these in the top 5. Anyone use them? Bluehost seems made for WP.

InMotion
FatCow
BlueHost
JustHost
Hostgator
iPage

Also things like (simple) SQL databse mgmt is important for me since I'll be using WP and migrating various sites.

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
My apologies, they do not have live chat, just 24/7 telephone support. But when you phone them, you never have to wait on hold. Very smart techs who all have the knowledge to answer all your questions. Their control panels for account settings are great and simple to use. Very easy to change name servers, add mailboxes, check your webmail. Even people with little knowledge can pretty much do anything that needs to be done. Depending which account type you get, databases are included. Here is a link in regards to using wordpress with pair.com http://www.pair.com/support/knowledge_base/authoring_development/tools_of_the_trade_wordpress.html. The reason I mention pair to you is due to their dependability and small amount of support I have required over the years has been fantastic. I have been using them for 13 years and have never had an issue.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
My apologies, they do not have live chat, just 24/7 telephone support. But when you phone them, you never have to wait on hold. Very smart techs who all have the knowledge to answer all your questions. Their control panels for account settings are great and simple to use. Very easy to change name servers, add mailboxes, check your webmail. Even people with little knowledge can pretty much do anything that needs to be done. Depending which account type you get, databases are included. Here is a link in regards to using wordpress with pair.com http://www.pair.com/support/knowledge_base/authoring_development/tools_of_the_trade_wordpress.html. The reason I mention pair to you is due to their dependability and small amount of support I have required over the years has been fantastic. I have been using them for 13 years and have never had an issue.
Ok thanks. Actually coincidentally, I used pair way back around 1997 when I set up a home page for one of my hobbies. I see they are in the US but I could have sworn it was a Canadian company back then.

bronxred

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Bronx
Currently with Godaddy but their controls panels etc are a PITA. Any new recommendations? Basic WP sites, minimal support needed if online documentation is explicit. I'm in Japan so if they had 24 hr support via live chat etc that would be nice.

Also when I switch hosting providers what happens to the mail that is in my OSX Mail inbox since mail on the previous server will be erased?

Dreamhost has 24/7 live chat support. (Just went there and asked them to be sure.) I've been with them for nine years and they have always been quick, courteous and helpful whenever I've had an issue or question of any kind. They have all the usual "unlimited" stuff, a great control panel, and one-click installs of WordPress and other CMS systems.

As for the email in Mac OS X Mail, I assume you're using IMAP and not POP, since POP messages would not be deleted on your Mac by a new server. Either way, you'll want to archive all the messages on your Mac before leaving one host for another, but especially with IMAP.

Best wishes!

Jake :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.