Canadian Seal Hunt...an observation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dornoforpyros, Apr 8, 2006.

1. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I'm not here to take a line for or against the seal hunt (there's enough idiots doing that), but I have made one observation.

Why is it when it's a cute animal like a seal being hunted everyone calls it barbaric and horrible. Yet it seems to me baby chickens are pretty damned cute yet no one feels bad about ordering a chicken sandwich. Also most people have no real problem with rats being poisoned, yet rats can be cute as well.

Just seems rather hypocritical of people to suddenly get behind this cause when thousands of other animals are killed by humans every day wether it be for food, fashion or even just because they inconvenience us (IE: rats & mice)

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There's a big difference between killing wild animals and domesticated animals. Nobody kills baby chickens for food and domesticated rats are a heck of a lot different from wild rats. Wild rats are a major source of disease in many areas. Baby seals aren't killed for food either so that adds another aspect to the equation.

The panda has taken an evolutionary dead end. It only eats a particular type of bamboo, has no effective defense against predators yet billions are spent on preserving the panda, mainly because of its cuteness factor. It may be hypocritical but species preservation is important.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

You kill a chicken to eat it, not to wear around your neck.

Now, if someone wants a fur coat, and is willing to go hunt the animal down and do all the work to get it, fine.

I'm really torn about eating animals. I couldn't kill a chicken if I had to (well, if I was starving, I would). I couldn't kill much of anything....

I've hunted and it ripped me to shreds, don't do it anymore..blah I'm ranting. If people want to wear WILD animals, they should go beat them to a pulp with their own bats. Problem solved.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

"Why is it called veal?"

"Because if we called it tortured baby cow, no one would eat it!"

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

? considering the suffering your average corn-fed USDA prime beef goes through, slaughtering them young is doing them a favor.
    either you are against all farmed beef stock or you just eat it up.
    Veals are no worse-off then their older siblings in industrial settings.

that said, more natural farming could and should be implemented (of course it would cost 10x more, but we would all be healthier), and seal hunt IS barbaric and horrible.

edit: a bit off-topic, but i remembered reading an interesting article on beef production a few years back, and thanks to the awesome power of 'the internets', here it is

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's from South Park.
    Hey, I eat tortured baby cow myself, albeit rarely. For meats, I'm a big fan of my local butcher and the local natural food store. They both do meats right, and buy from places that do as well.

7. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

uops, missed this one :eek:

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

14th Century rats, fleas, and humans helped carry the plague through Europe killing an estimated 4 million people (1/3 of the population). there is a very good reason to kill wild rats.

9. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Sure, decease is a good reason to kill certain animals. Like I said, it just bugs me that regular meat eating people don't give a damn about any other animals being killed, but don't touch the cute seals!

The way I see if your gonna kill one animal you might as well be willing to kill em all.

ps.I might just be the worse vegetarian ever

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's because they don't think about it until they see it. You don't see your meat being killed when you get a burger at the drive-thru or when you buy leather shoes. Same thing when you hire an exterminator to get rid of the vermin that eats your food or clothes and poops all over your stuff. But when you see this, you might think twice:
    [​IMG]
    Then this:
    [​IMG]

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

the only other animals i actually don't care if they kill is ones i would eat or ones that carry and spread disease. (damn mosquitos)

All the other little animals can live as they please

Just like i have no problem with other animals eating humans for food.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Wild codfish are OK to kill because they are uglier, right?

How are you dividing it?

Wild vs. domesticated?
    Warm blooded vs. cold blooded?
    Mammal vs. Bird?
    Little brain vs. big brain?
    Vermin vs. Inoffensive to humans?
    Food vs. Fur?
    Human food vs. animal food?

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

he's just defending himself against a seal wielding a mouth-stick.

14. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

[​IMG]
    i saw one of these today, made me chuckle just a little bit

15. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I have nothing to add to this thread I just wanted to say that you caused me to spit some water on my screen :mad: . I was drinking a glass of water scrolling down and then I saw your post and I started actually laughing out loud.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

:)

17. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Mooooooo save the cows!

Attached Files:

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My take on this whole thing:

Eating meat is not bad in and of itself. But I do try to stay away from hormone injected, genetically modified beef and chicken. I try to eat free range when possible, and organically fed when possible.

But I will admit that I don't always walk the walk, despite talking the talk :(. I'm quite a big fan of the Junior Bacon Cheeseburger. I have a feeling Wendy's isn't using free range cattle for their beef ;).

As for seal hunting, I could never do it, but I don't think Canadian Seal hunting poses a threat to the seal species. But I'll also admit that I know next to nothing about seals!

Basically, I don't know anything, but I genuinely want to do the right thing... until a junior bacon cheeseburger is waved in my face. :(

e

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I like vegetarians. Ironically, they taste like chicken. Seriously though, I try not to eat meat because I think it's gross. But if we accept that humans are animals, I don't believe in stopping other people from doing it. I just wish they realized what they were eating. Then again, if people did that, they wouldn't be eating much.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How hard do you try?

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

22. mpw Guest

I'm a meat eater and don't have a huge problem if people want to go hunting etc. but am perhaps a hypocrite as I don't like the idea (or reality) of cruelty or extinction. I also agree with the OP's bemusement that people are happy to fight for the life of one animal but not another without any good reason.

I went into KFC a while ago and not being a regular customer enquired whether the 'bucket' was all breast meat or drums etc. aswell (I can't stand anything with a bone in). The server just shrugged and said it was chicked "pieces".

I got the impression that she hadn't connected what she was serving with an actual chicken because of the cunning breadcrumb disguise it wears.

I've got a 3 and a 5year old and its weird how each child around that age has to go through the realization that the chicken on their plate is the same as the chicken in the easter story or Chicken Little or how Three Little Pigs they cheered for when the Wolf got beaten still ended up in the sausage.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

This particular breed is also known for its ability to spit human-eating acid.

This man was merely protecting his family, who are huddled together and standing just out of frame, but well within acidshot.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Seals are revered in western Irish custom as a mythical creature. To kill one is to invite the wrath of the sea upon your boats.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not to mention that you miss any chance of it turning into a beautiful, bewitching woman.