Canadian Universities

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by paul451, Jan 15, 2007.

1. paul451 macrumors newbie

Apr 12, 2006
    Hey all,

I am currently applying to College, I have decided to go back to Canada (I currently live in Munich but I am Canadian).
    Being so far away from Canada I would really appreciate some input from anyone who has any experience with the system.

I want to study Management or international business. Below are the universities I currently have on my list:

• University of Toronto
    • Ryerson
    • Brock
    • University of Ottawa
    • Carleton
    • Concordia
    • Dalhousie

Does anyone have anything they can tell me about any of these or any other universities, I am trying to stay on the east coast if it is possible?

Also how long does it take from the time your application has been submitted for them to give a response?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    If you're selected in the first round, I think you get a response by May or June. Otherwise, you get a response in August.

I don't know why you'd consider Brock or Ryerson. :p If I was thinking about taking business, I'd consider York University or Western, which have the best business Graduate programs in the country. Maybe this translates into good undergrad degrees as well? Also consider Queens.

I'm only assuming that you have the grades to get into Western or Queens because you considered U of T as an option. Carleton is good. I did my undergrad at McMaster, and it's a nice uni to go to.

I'm studying in Australia now. :cool:
  3. bradc macrumors 6502

Mar 17, 2006
    Canader eh
    On your list the best University is University of Toronto. Don't bother with Brock or Concordia-seriously.

Ryerson is actually quite a good University now, I'd look at that too.

Dalhousie is also good but for after school 'Entertainment', Nova Scotia is small!

University of Ottawa--haven't heard much about it but it's probably good too because of it's size & location.

Carleton is okay, I'd stay away, but Carleton is way better than Brock.

Universities not on your list you should check out:

For business your number one choice should be University of Western Ontario. It was also rated one of top party schools by Maxim magazine;)

Number two (tied with number 3) choice, Queen's---full of history, lots of depth, amazing school spirit

Number three: Wilfrid Laurier University. It's a smaller University but top quality school, it's also less than a kilometre away from the University of Waterloo (best engineering school, M.I.T. equivalent). So it's an amazing area to be a University student.

Number four and on: University of Toronto-the only downside is that it's so BIG, harder to make friends.

#5: Hmmm, Im not too familiar with Universities north of Toronto so I'll say #5 is York for business

#6: Ryerson and so on

Hope that helps:)
  4. stevehp macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    It's not a house, it's a home.
    Yeah, I'd definitely check out the Richard Ivey School of Business at Western. It's one of the best programs in the country.

Edit: Responding to bradc, York has a great business school (Shulich), which is ranked atop the best in Canada.
  5. bradc macrumors 6502

Mar 17, 2006
    Canader eh
    Ahhh crap I forgot about Schulich, I was thinking of Osgoode Law School which is alson in York.

So I'll say it here, Number TWO is York University then.
  6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    I dont know all the much but how bout McGill or HEC Montreal?
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yes, but all of this is for their Grad Program. Ivey, Shulich, and Queens have the best MBA programs. I think the quality of their MBAs may trickle down to their undergrad programs, but personally, I don't think it matters which undergrad program you choose as long as it isn't in the bottom rung. MBA schools DO matter, though. Nobody is going to pay you the big bucks and risk investing in you if you got an MBA from Lakehead. :p For your undergrad, pick your school based on location and "feel".

And yes, Ryerson is a decent university, but not for business. Also, it's as crowded as U of T because not everyone has class at the same time, and EVERYONE wanders into the city and crosses paths. It's actually quite annoying to go to a Toronto Uni, regardless of its size.

Dalhousie is a great university, and Halifax, Nova Scotia has the most pubs per capita in the entire world, even more than their "motherland" --- Scotland. ;) Great place. I went there for a 4 day conference and it was sweet. But as one of Canada's top universities, it's not known for business, and it doesn't have much of a grad program at all if you were interested.

U of T isn't so great for business, but once people who don't know much about grad schools hears someone say "I graduated from U of T with a degree in Business", they automatically think good things because U of T has a great overall reputation. It's like Harvard.....even if you graduate with a degree in Slovac Studies, it's going to look pretty darn impressive that you got into Harvard to begin with. :p
  8. bradc macrumors 6502

Mar 17, 2006
    Canader eh

I'm an Engineer leave me alone! I was talking to someone else on here and I could have gone to M.I.T. but the tuition was crazy. So I went to Waterloo for Systems Design Engineering with two scholarships;)

So there ya go kids, take school seriously and work hard. At the same time please have a life outside of school!
  9. adroit macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC
    Abstract seems to know his stuff pretty well.

Anyway, for business my list would be: Western, McGill, Queens, and York.

I don't know much about Western or York. McGill would be good if you want to live in a bigger city and Montreal is a very fun city. Queens is in a much smaller town but people there seems to have a lot of school 'spirit' and they seems to have never ending activities going on there.

I would just look at each city with a decent business program and see what lifestyle it has to offer then pick one that would suit you best. I just don't feel that employers in Canada care that much about which university your graduate from, as long as they've heard about it before.
  10. paul451 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 12, 2006
    Wow, I did not expect such a great response.

I have been to visit during fall break of last year all of the colleges on my list. Apart from Dal.

Also for me Montreal is not a problem as I speak and understand french on the same level as english, I just cant write it to good.

I have also looked at the Macleans guide but I did not think it was very helpful.

Thanks alot for the pointer you have all put.

11. stcanard macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    Okay, I'm going to buck the crowd here...

Really, honestly? Unless you're going for post-grad work and have sponsors picked out, one university in Canada is as good as the other -- the accreditation makes sure of that.

Undergrad degrees are the same. Its only when you're looking for your doctorate work that you really have to worry about it.

Of course, everyone that has graduated from a specific university (I'm a UBC Engineer btw) is going to disagree with me, and point out theirs is the best, or McClean's has declared that <X> university who has decided to participate in their survey has an advantage, but when it comes to the job interview your interviewer doesn't care which school you came from, the question is around how well you know what you've been taught.

What you have been taught to get that piece of paper has already been laid out by the government and/or the professional organization.
  12. wimic macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2006
    calgary, alberta
    Sorry - but you're mistaken! St. John's Newfoundland has the most bars/pubs per capita in North America!

(I'm a proud Newfie :))
  13. rickvanr macrumors 68040

Apr 10, 2002
    I know the saying "If you can walk and talk you can get into Brock", but I was under the impression that the John Molson School of Business at Concordia was held in high regard. From what I remember, to get accepted you needed the same marks schools like Queens and McGill were requiring. As for the rest of Concordia, it's not so good. If you want to goto school in Montreal, check out McGill.
  14. luishu macrumors newbie

May 25, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
  15. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    McMaster Business all the way --- what what ... I bleed maroon over here
  16. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Aug 16, 2007
    I live within walking distance of both Ryerson and U of T. The U of T campus is much nicer than the Ryerson campus. IIRC the Ryerson business campus is actually located within the mall, right beside the Best Buy. Convenient, perhaps, if you are a mechanical fiend built by the devil hands of man, a soul-less automaton whose very delight is our unfettered annihilation, and you find yourself in sudden need of large quantities of nickel(II) hydroxide to power your neutronium core.

Although most of my friends have graduated, I have heard less complaints and higher praise for U of T than I have for Ryerson. But I, being a graphics professional, have only my hearsay. I lay my hearsay at your feed, tread softly...
  17. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2005
    Depends if you want to go to Post-Grad.

All under-graduate programs are essentially the same from what I've gotten from all my friends.

I got into UFT, Mac and Western but I actually decided to go to Ryerson and I'm glad I did. All my friends are struggling in their schools and I'm having the time of my life while holding a solid GPA.

Mac is actually great, same with Western. My last choice would be UfT, the place is just depressing on the whole. When I was going for campus tours I spent an hour there and wanted to leave.

Go check out the campuses before, don't make a decision on people's opinions, go where you feel comfortable.
  18. cleanup macrumors 68030

Jun 26, 2005
    Why do you think U of T is depressing? I'm moving into Vic College on Sunday and I've been walking around the campus and it looks beautiful to me.
  19. rickvanr macrumors 68040

Apr 10, 2002
    U of T is a nice campus.

A beautiful campus, until you take one step out of it, and you realize you're in Toronto. Bleck!
  20. teflon macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2007
    Same here, I quite like U of T. Internationally it's the most recognized, and it's constantly rated as the #1 university in Canada. It's pretty close to the city centre (the main campus anyway) and overall seems like a great choice.
  21. lamina macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    I went to Brock for my first year, Dalhousie for my second, and I'm finishing at Brock this year. I'm a psychology major.

I LOVE Dalhousie. If you're a Mac guy, their campus computer store can't be beat... I should know, I worked there.

Brock is a really good school for business. They've got some pretty impressive accreditation. I may be a little biased though, since it's right around the corner from my house. But there is something so 'homey' about Brock. Dalhousie was great, but it's a pretty big campus, which is kind of intimidating. Brock has that community feel.

A previous post said that undergrad degrees aren't important, as far as the school you go to, and I couldn't agree more.

PS: Brock is AWESOME if you like Asian chicks, especially if you're in business. They flock here in droves. Lots of money too.

PPS: I like Asian chicks.
  22. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Feb 25, 2003
    Cold beer land
    I looked into MIT and CalTech many years ago. Tuition was about $20K 20 years ago. I went to a good Canadian university - U of Eh (University of Alberta)
    Good engineering programs.
  23. jialuolu macrumors regular

Oct 10, 2005
    I can tell you that if you're looking to study management/business in Ottawa, Carleton has a better program and is very generous with scholarships and even though it used to have a lousy reputation, it's recovering from that. University of Ottawa is in a much better location though, it's just a hop and a skip away from the downtown core, whereas Carleton is in the middle of nowhere.

I wouldn't really bother with Brock or Concordia if it can be avoided. McGill is a much better choice in Montreal, but being an out-of-province student at McGill is often more expensive than it's worth. Queens is also worth looking into because Kingston is very much a university town, there are students all over and seems like it would be a lot of fun.
  24. it5five macrumors 65816

May 31, 2006
    New York
    I don't mean to thread hi-jack, but I have a similar question.

I plan on moving (studying/living/immigrating) to Montreal after I get my bachelors, and I was looking into schools for grad. I'm studying history, so which of the 4 universities in Montreal would be the best?
  25. jialuolu macrumors regular

Oct 10, 2005
    Do you speak French? Because if not, Universite de Montreal and UQAM aren't really options