'Canadians only' policy for Mississauga

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I knew Mississauga ( aka, Miseryssauga )was a hole, but really, this is just racism.

'Canadians only' policy for Mississauga
    Must be Canadian to serve Mississauga
    Give up country of origin, urges mayor

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...ageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

Quotes:
    "Interestingly, Breault's report noted that current policy doesn't require a criminal record check of citizen appointees"

Hmm.. thats logically, the employee could have a criminal record as long as your arm.. but thats fine!

( I'm not posting the article - its copyright ;-) )

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Hate to say it, but they have a point to some extent. Though in this case that person's obviously been here long enough to show that their 'allegiances' are with Canada, as much or more than Germany. We have close family friends in Alberta that have been here since the 70's and still don't have Canadian Citizenship - to them it's only in recent years that it's been a big deal to have 'Canadian' Citizenship.

I think it's unfair that some people can have dual-nationality, whilst others can't. Of course we're one of the lucky ones (so far) and to be honest I'm not ever planning to give up my UK citizenship, because quite frankly with it I can work with/in the UK and Europe. With Canadian citizenship I can work here and under NAFTA (something Landed Immigrants cannot).

In this 'global' economy that's got to be worth something.

~331 days to go! :)

3. riciad macrumors 6502

When did Mississauga become a hole?

I'm not disputing your opinion, just interested as I originally come from Toronto (Islington) and had a few friends who lived in Mississauga (one couple still do), but the last time I was back must be 10 years or so ago.

Has it changed that much?

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

All I know is that I get nervous when a letter comes from Mississauga - as it's usually asking me for some tax or other! :p

5. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Always, Mississauga has absolutely no character whatsoever.

6. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Personally, I think this is a good idea. I'd prefer my representatives in government to be citizens. Most of the immigrants I know have their citizenship, so I don't know what's racist about this.

7. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Their government workers, not necessarily councillors etc.

Anyway, a fine city such as Toronto doesn't have such retarded rules.

As I said before, Mississauga is a dump and the mayor is nothing more than a racist. Criminals ( including murders, rapists et al) with records as long as your arm, are welcome, but law abiding immigrates are not!!!

8. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

They're not just any arbitrary workers, it's people serving on municipal committees and boards. So, it's people in a position to affect policy.

To be fair, immigrants are people from other countries, not necessarily other races. This rule would seem to equally affect caucasian, negro, asian, etc. immigrants, so I don't think that the term "racist" applies.

9. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

meh this seems fair, you can't become president of the united states (to the best of my knowledge) without having been born there.
    Having your own run your government doesn't seem un-reasonable.