CANADIANS REJOICE-Apple TV Rocks!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by donster28, Jun 5, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

just got my APTV yesterday (and a freebie gift at that) and let me tell you it runs like butter. i got the 40gig version so i guess i will just be streaming my own stuff and will only be using the space for rentals.

i only encountered a few glitches when i was trying to access my itunes account from it (i got the dreaded "account or password is not recognized" error message) but after searching for a solution here, a quick software update solved the problem.

also, synching with my stuff from my MBP slowed things down so i went back and opted not to sync. streaming saved the day!...and boy, is it fast!!! I have N.

rented national treasure 2 HD which took a little more than 45 mins to download (was able to play it halfway through.).

picture quality? i tried it both on my 32" sony bravia and my benq w500 projector via HDMI..."it's awesome!" is an understatement. although picture is a little downgraded from bluray, it's still high definition and it's still a lot better than regular dvd and cable hd at that. i believe this is not a hardware issue but a software one. pretty soon movie companies are able to use better compression...can't wait.

so canadians, consider yourselves lucky, we now have a full-pledged appletv.

this is just my 2 cents. ;-)

2. macrumors 6502

Congrats northern neighbors. Make yourself a big plate of poutine, sit back and enjoy. Lucky you with the 48hr deal too.

3. macrumors member

I could not agree more its amazing.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks neighbor. here's hoping apple revises ur deal to 48hrs. it helps when u have lots on the plate. :)

5. macrumors 6502

can someone suggest what fine wine goes with Poutine :)

6. macrumors newbie

Do folks in Canada access the same itunes store as the US? In other words, if I have a Canadian based credit card I can buy from US itunes store??

Thanks.

7. macrumors 6502a

No, but you can create a US account without a US credit card, so you can have the best of both "worlds" ;-)

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

ahhmm...i don't think you can. you have to have a US credit card to create a US itunes account. sorry to say.

9. macrumors 68020

northy124

No you don't, you can use US Gift Cards.

10. macrumors 6502a

Not true - i have one :D

11. macrumors 601

You can use iTunes store credit.

12. macrumors 68000

gwsat

The Apple TV is good stuff, eh? :)

I have loved my Apple TV in the few months I have had it. I find myself using it and iTunes more and more as a repository for DVD files that I have ripped and converted to MP4 with Handbrake. Although I bought it because it would allow me to rent HD movies, I don’t do that much anymore because I don’t like the 24 hour limit on finishing a movie once I have started watching it. That’s the motion industry’s paranoia at work and not Apple’s fault, of course, but it is still a pain in the fanny.

13. macrumors regular

While sitting here in front of the computer after shovelling the driveway, chomping on my poutine. I have to wonder if Apple Tv is really worth it yet for Canadians? Is there enough content to make it worth while?

14. macrumors 6502a

If the content in the Canadian store is not sufficient for you, just go to the US store...no problem ;-)

15. macrumors member

Not that much yet, but my main interest is HD movies, and I'm having fun revisiting old movies now available in HD. Plus the rental is cheaper than Rogers, and I can trade in Air Miles for iTunes gift cards, making rentals "free".

16. macrumors 68030

ok..i just went HEMMMM?? trade airmiles in for itunes gift cards? me is going to check that out right away...after i finish my breakfast poutine and beavertail.