cancel order in anticipation of MWSF?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sjcaguy, Dec 7, 2003.

1. sjcaguy macrumors regular

i placed an order for a 14" iBook with the 933Mhz, 640 MB RAM, 60GB hd, airport extreme, as well as an iPod.

should i cancel the order to see if something comes out at MWSF that will be better for the money?

this is a serious question, since if i can wait a while and get something much better for the money i'd do it.

2. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I don't think anyone is expecting much refering to iBook or iPod updates but you never know. I've heard rumors about a brand new product in celebration of the Mac's 20th anniversary but that hasn't been the top story. I don't think anyone can tell you what to do because in the end it's your decision.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

this was the year of the laptop and they just finished giving ibook the g4, next year will be the year of the desktop. i dont see anything happening to the powerbooks until after the next imac

4. cubist macrumors 68020

That iBook G4 933 14" is a good machine at a good price. I don't see how anything coming out at MWSF could change that.

If Powerbook G5's come out, you can believe they'll cost more than double the iBook G4's price.

If iMac G5's come out, they'll likely cost close to $2K and they're not portable.

If the 10" Powerbook comes out, it'll be too small to be your primary machine, and it'll likely cost more.

If the Apple Tablet comes out, it won't have optical drives and you'll need another computer to use it with.

So even if the craziest rumors come true, you have nothing to be afraid of.

5. sjcaguy thread starter macrumors regular

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree wqith everyone else - I think it's safe to say there aren't going to be any iBook updates @ MWSF. The iBooks were just updated, and we will be seeing PowerMac speed increases, G5 xServes and new LCDs before anything else - they are due, the iBooks are not.

I suppose a speed boost to the iBook could happen, but I doubt it. Even if it does, the iBook right now has a lot of power for an excellent price, and if the line sees a speed boost, it's not going to be anything noticeable, and therefore nothing worth waiting for in my opinion. What's an extra 100-200 MHz in the grand scheme of things?

If you always wait for the next best thing, you'll always be waiting. Buy the machine that you need, when you need it, and you'll never be disappointed. :cool:

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

The G4 iBooks were just released. I seriously doubt they're going to be updated. Keep your order and enjoy your new Mac :D.