Cancelled Dual G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BicyclePunk, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BicyclePunk macrumors regular

That's right. After several delays in shipping my machine, and an outright lie by a call center supervisor on Monday, I have cancelled my order. It is plain silly to have to wait so long. Add to that the anxiety of thinking the machine is going to ship and only have it delayed another three days...which happened four times with me. Yep, f- it. I may go out and buy a slower model, but at this point, I am through with spending several thousands of dollars per year with Apple. Shame.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you really have spent so much money each year on Apple equipment, you should know better.

There is always a chance that things will go right but it would seem more so, that there is a chance for the very new to go wrong. It sounds as though you've built up an unreasonable expectation.

I think if the call centre supervisor made an outright lie, you should be getting some response from that person's supervisor, not complaining to us. We can't do anything about it.

3. mac3dX macrumors newbie

mine still not shipping

My dual CTO still has not shipped either. I ordered it on 6/26. I feel your pain. Apple is really screwing a lot of customers with this promise, delay, promise, delay, promise, delay bulls**t.

4. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

5. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

well,maybe some people can wait. I'm not trying to be mean, but i think if you know there are delays, like many of apple's big products, you should expect the worst and hope for the best.

6. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so I cancel the order yesterday. Last evening, I go to my local Apple Store...a few miles away...just to see if they might have a Dualie. Low and behold they do and I buy it on the spot. Wow.

But it is really stupid that I order my machine in June and was still waiting when I could have driven four miles to the mall to get the same machine.

So, who cares...I have the computer now.

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

It is like having a baby...

Pinful but gratifying :rolleyes:

8. evil macrumors 6502

damn. thats super annoying.

9. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

I don't understand how a computer I ordered in JUNE is still not here in October and yet, I can walk right into the store and buy the same one on the spot. they need to get their customer service straightend out. I knew it would probably ship in September, but this was just plain stupid.

10. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

I think Apple should take some lessons from Amazon or Dell in dealing with timely shipping!

It's not as hard as they (Apple) make it out to be... honest. :rolleyes:

11. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-BicyclePunk

Absolutely correct - completely stupid.

Apple has, for a long stretch of history, had problems with meeting demand.

They should ask their consulting company, BearingPoint (formerly KPMG Consulting) - the same folks who proposed the idea of the Retail Store - to revamp their Supply Chain Management. After all, one of BearingPoint's other clients is FedEx. It's not like BearingPoint is lacking expertise, and they are right at Apple's fingertips...

12. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, their SCM seems pretty messed up. It's kind of bad, too, that it is a common joke now that when Steve Jobs says something will ship, everyone knows that's at least a month off the mark. Compund that with just poor CRM and a supply chain kinks and...well...it's hard to retain customers, let alone gain new ones.

13. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i think everything should be available immediatly. i'd rather have rumors for a month or 2 more than have it oline with not a single person recieving it for 2 months.

14. hose this! macrumors member

What a crock. A company should only state a shipping date when they are sure something is going to ship. Setting a date and revising it 3x or 4x as happened to BicyclePunk is an inexcusable business practice. Why people bother defending this is beyond me.

If apple doesn't know when something is going to ship, they should come clean about it and post a big fat ? for the ship date. At least then customers would be certain about the uncertainty.

15. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Well...at least they should say, with confidence, when MOST units will defintiely ship. Sure, Apple probably shipped two units in August. Therefore it technically counts as "units shipped", but it still pisses off the masses. Especially with pushing the dates four times.

One email update I got stated that the ship date was pushed four more weeks. Two hours later I got another email saying the previous one was a mistake and that my machine "would ship in 3 to 5 days!" Of course that date was then pushed three more times.

16. advres Guest

advres

i hada similar issue with my new powerbook but to add insult to injury I had a $270 hold on my credit dard.

"Processing fees that would be refunded but i would have to wait" 11 days and three phone calls later i had the money credited back to me.

p.s. - i cancelled so i could buy my powerbook at a retail location. ohhh its sexy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.