Cancelled my dualG5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wildmac, Sep 3, 2003.

1. wildmac macrumors 65816

Well, I think Apple is getting tired of us.

I called, hoping to get a discount, and was just given the option to cancel the order, which I did. (Yes, I was nice to them).

Since the G5 is just for educational users, and the rest of us don't matter. People who are doing real work and need speed get only G4's.

I don't understand how Apple thinks pissing off the folks who use the computers for work is going to help them. God forbid you need a new PB.

Thank goodness all those college students can pirate MP3's faster than ever before. Meanwhile, I have real work to do on my old G4 today, not three (or 4, who knows?) weeks from now.

It's like Yikes all over again.

So I'll wait, and hopefully a speedbump will be announced by sometime in December. (I need the tax write-off). Of course, the shipping date for that will be March.....

But I wonder, since it was stated that Apple already had 100,000 orders for G5's, and I'm guessing that 75% of those orders were for DualG5's, how many did they really have ready?..... Since there is only 1 report sofar of someone getting a DualG5, where did they all go too?... Or, is this one big Apple screw-up?......

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

dude, its not that bad, go to an apple store or a reseller and pick one up. which one are you looking for???

iJon

3. wildmac thread starter macrumors 65816

I want/need the Dual G5. If there was one in a store, I'd gladly go pick one up today.

But since they aren't shipping until the end of the month, why not want another 2 months and get a speed-bump version?....

4. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Re: Cancelled my dualG5

I don't understand why folks feel Apple is responsible for producing a new PB right away.

5. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

1) It may be [considerably] more than 2 months.
    2) If the end of the month is a long way off to you, I would think > 2 months would be an eternity.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

not to say apple isn't screwy with all these delays.

but, i'm just curious

1. why you think they'll even announce a speed bumped version realizing how slow they've been so far.

and

2. if it's "such" a huge deal, how were you able to get your work done before they g5s were out?

again, i'm not defending apple, just curious as to why anyone would get so upset about it. bad for your heart

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

these g5's are pretty powerful, i wouldnt expect a g5 update for a while, i would expect next july just because if steve is honest they will be like 3.x next year.

iJon

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

9. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Many schools need their computers first just because they need to set up networks and installing softwares. They can not do that in the middle of the school program and Apple need to feed their new generation of users right away.

I can undertand that but the supercomputer stuff at the Virginia University IS something no neccesary, that is just an experiment that can wait a month or two, there are people who need the computer as you say.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Like :rolleyes:

---

You can almost always expect a delay when Apple releases a form factor change, and when they release a new product or a product change this big it's almost time to start a pool on how long the delay will be.

Of course arn would probably frown on members running a betting pool for the length of the delay.

11. wildmac thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I'll pickup whatever Dual G5 is available on Dec 31rst, to get the tax write-off.

Yes, it is quite a bit longer, but my "busy" season is now, not 9/22 or whenever the edu system has their fill and we start getting hardware.

So, If I have to wait unitl the end of Sept, waiting another 2-3 months won't make much difference.

And someone else can be the damn guinea pig.

The point is, I ordered on the day they were announced, and many, many folks will get their systems before I would be able too.

12. wildmac thread starter macrumors 65816

But the delay is because they are giving the systems to someone else!

(And the fact that no one at Apple could figure out that everyone would want a Dual)

13. wildmac thread starter macrumors 65816

Then they should have told us that up front, that edu customers were gonna get the goods.

14. wildmac thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, if a bump is expected for MacWorld, I'll wait.

If not, then I'll just get a Dual from my local Apple store as a Christmas present.

15. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

sorry... Va Tech ordered 1,100 g5's... as unfair as it is, i think they carry a little more leverage than one person pestering about possible discounts for a delay apple has been fairly good about announcing. (i know, it's still not an excuse...)

i said pestering because if you really needed it now, i would have thought you'd ask to have it shipped quicker somehow or tell them to cancel unless your deadline can be met... not ask for a discount because that accomplishes nothing to meet your supposed deadline. it sounds more like a simple bargain hunting to me...

well, good luck. if you can manage without for the time being, i'm sure you will find a much more acceptable condition for the purchase by dec.

16. charlesc macrumors member

wildmac, I had wondered too in reference to the 100k units ordered. You would think at a bare minimum at least 50% of the 100,000 units ordered are the dual. I just don't understand how an order for only an additional 1100 units for Virginia Tech could seriously throw off customer shipments before the end of august. Apple new in advance of Virginia Tech's order, and also they must have only had maybe 2000 dual's ready to ship by the end of august. How can you say it will ship by the end of august when you only have maybe 2000 units (out of 50,000 ordered) available for shipping the last day of the month, then only 900 or so after the virginia tech order. That is just wrong and misleading. It is true though, saying they are going to ship them by the end of the month.

Everyday I feel better that I didn't pre-order the day they were announced. At this rate the dual 2.0's will only be on shelves for a month or two before rev b comes along with Panther, this is just my opinion of course. I've been using mac's since '93 (LC 550), and became a 'veteran' after the g4 500mhz fiasco. I just wish Apple would treat us loyal customers better. None the less they are the best and I'll keep using them, and complaining! ha ha.

17. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

off topic

charlesc:

on your sig, you say you have 768 mb ram on your pb 12". how did you do that?

18. charlesc macrumors member

ha ha. Thanks for pointing that out. When I signed up for this forum I was probably ripped on morphine from my back surgery the other month. I found it easy to screw up numbers when I was on those pain meds!

Now if those 1 gig sticks would just drop in price, I'd be more than happy to list this PB as having 1152mb of ram!