Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Yeah;

Looks pretty cool! I hope it works in a 2006 MP 1.1 system! :D
If Apple is making it then no they want you to buy a new Mac Pro. If nVidia or someone else is building the cards then I would say it will most likely work as PCIe 2.0 is backwards compatible with PCIe 1.0. Except possibly the GTX295 or Radeon HD4870x2 I don't think any current cards saturate PCIe x16 1.0 yet.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Hmm. That second screenshot being posted has the analog port, which I'm certain the OS X version probably won't have - and doesn't in the Engadget screenshots.

That aside, I definitely wouldn't cancel for it. I highly doubt 's suddenly going to have much better Nvidia drivers. It'd be better for windows stuff, but I'm willing to bet the 4870 will outperform it in OS X, unless they overhaul it all or a ton of CUDA support get spliced into snow leopard. That said, nobody knows whether or not ATI or Nvidia cards will perform better on OpenCL and Snow Leopard, but in the here and now, I'll stick to the higher OS X performance of ATI cards.

The 8800 GT fiasco was a little galling.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Whilst under Windows and gaming, the GTX will certainly beat the Radeon, I get the feeling that under OS X and pro apps, the radeon will smoke it. Nvidia's OS X drivers suck ass. Just like the X1900 XT beats the 8800GT under OS X.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
It wouldn't surprise me to find the mini DisplayPort on the Mac Edition of the GTX 285.
Must admit, I would like to have the 24" connected to the GTX 285... ;)

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Whilst under Windows and gaming, the GTX will certainly beat the Radeon, I get the feeling that under OS X and pro apps, the radeon will smoke it. Nvidia's OS X drivers suck ass. Just like the X1900 XT beats the 8800GT under OS X.

Exactly why I'm keeping my 4870. Same experience here, hte x1900 XT blew away the 8800, so sad.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Exactly why I'm keeping my 4870. Same experience here, hte x1900 XT blew away the 8800, so sad.

this is why I love the macrumors forums - i can get a lot of good information here. my initial reaction when they announce the GTX 285 was that I wanted it (instead of the 4870). So I cancelled by order for the 4870. But now, it seems that the 4870 may be better in some cases than the GTX 285 (specifically the drivers for nvidia cards seem to be notorious).

however, I'm not regretting canceling the 4870 because I want to wait. Not necessarily to buy the GTX 285, but more because I can afford to wait. So far, Aperture and Final Cut Express have been performing quite well with the stock 2600XT (I did add 8GB of RAM though). it's probably also cause I'm going from a dual core 2.0Ghz Powermac G5. so i'm just going to keep this configuration for awhile and revisit the video card upgrade in 6 months or so. by then the 4870 should be readily available as should the GTX 285 and many people will have done benchmarks which are relevant to what i'd be using. maybe the prices will even drop a bit by then.

of course i'll be following threads like these closely so I can see how each card is working out for people - presumably after snow leopard finally ships. always better to wait if you can afford to right?

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.

Latest drivers place the 8800GT squarely in front of the X1900XT and 3870… and even the 4870 in some tasks.

matthew.russo

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
Australia
If the mac pro's could run SLI, I would cancel my 2 ATI's in a heartbeat. Xfire setup is nice for win. The 285 is ever so tempting though over the Xfire setup...and they are pretty much neck and neck performance wise.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Except DisplayPort is a free port, an internationally adopted standard

The Displayport on my Dell remains unused though, thanks to Apple taking this standard, and limiting it in their own special way. Displayport eh... well, here's MINI displayport.

Got a display, but want a new Mac? Better buy our adapter. Want our display? Better buy a new Mac. Lol.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

Not really. 8800GT is almost twice as fast than X1900XT on any games I play. Sorry but that's wrong information you have there. And yes, this is on Mac OS X.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Does that include any cider games?

I can assure you 100% that that is not true for BF2142

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
Does that include any cider games?

I can assure you 100% that that is not true for BF2142

Cider is crap.

If it comes down to AIDS or being forced to play Cider ports for the rest of my life, I'll take AIDS. At least I'll be able to have fun until I die.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Cider is crap.

If it comes down to AIDS or being forced to play Cider ports for the rest of my life, I'll take AIDS. At least I'll be able to have fun until I die.

eek.gif

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Latest drivers place the 8800GT squarely in front of the X1900XT and 3870… and even the 4870 in some tasks.

In OS X? In pro apps and core image? I don't think that's true - that's not what I've read or experienced. If you're talking about games, fine, but I think the 3870 and 4870 beat it in core image apps and video applications.

Also, we've got a driver update coming that should kick the 4870 up a notch or three.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Cider is crap.

Whatever...:rolleyes:

While I'm not a cider fan, for those of us who will NOT boot windows, it's the only way to play a number of games "released" for mac.

So if you're buying MAC software and not bootcamping, I stand by my assertion.

BTW, I get really tired of people making all kinds of claims about video cards and performance and drivers, etc, and the whole time they're referring to bootcamp of XP! If I wanted a freaking PC, I'd buy one.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.

While I'm not a cider fan, for those of us who will NOT boot windows, it's the only way to play a number of games "released" for mac.

So if you're buying MAC software and not bootcamping, I stand by my assertion.

BTW, I get really tired of people making all kinds of claims about video cards and performance and drivers, etc, and the whole time they're referring to bootcamp of XP! If I wanted a freaking PC, I'd buy one.

Not once have I referenced boot camp for benchmarks in this thread, so I don't know why you're lashing out at me.

If you want to run inferior versions of games, that's your business. If I'm running top notch hardware, I'd like to have good performance in games when I want to destress.

However, games that are actually written for Mac rather than being run in some third-rate compatibility layer run significantly better than Cider ports… and Windows versions typically run better yet.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Yes, yes and yes to the first three.

http://barefeats.com/nehal06.html

I probably should have specified. That only applies to Nehalem owners. The reverse is true for us Penryn users, as that set of tests is showing. Again, we've got an imminent driver update. Though I'm willing to admit that an Nvidia driver update is possibly incoming, I'm also skeptical - why would everything be cleaned up all of a sudden, now?

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
I probably should have specified. That only applies to Nehalem owners. The reverse is true for us Penryn users, as that set of tests is showing. Again, we've got an imminent driver update. Though I'm willing to admit that an Nvidia driver update is possibly incoming, I'm also skeptical - why would everything be cleaned up all of a sudden, now?

Ah, ok re: Penryn.

For what it's worth, it's been implied to me that there've been -vast- improvements in the nvidia drivers on the Mac, and of course people aren't moving the nvidia drivers from the 09s onto their 08s when they install 4870s… Could be BS, so keep in mind that rumors and implications are worth precisely what you pay for them :D

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
My 4870 just arrived. I'll probably return it.
I'll take the GTX 285 under consideration.
I know the GTX 285 is very powerful but is it's Mac driver any good?
I would like to own either a 4890, 4870 X2, or the GTX 285.
It will all depend on what's available and benchmarks from Barefeats.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Cider is crap.

If you want to run inferior versions of games, that's your business. If I'm running top notch hardware, I'd like to have good performance in games when I want to destress.

However, games that are actually written for Mac rather than being run in some third-rate compatibility layer run significantly better than Cider ports… and Windows versions typically run better yet.

I've heard of cider but never had it nor seen it in action. What's it like? Are there any videos of it being used? Why is it so bad (if it's bad)?

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
I've heard of cider but never had it nor seen it in action. What's it like? Are there any videos of it being used? Why is it so bad (if it's bad)?

It's basically a hack layer to let Windows games run under MacOS. EA uses it for all their Mac versions, which is why they all suck so hard in terms of performance.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
!

Not once have I referenced boot camp for benchmarks in this thread, so I don't know why you're lashing out at me.

I wasn't clear in my post - I was making the bootcamp statement in general, not directed towards you, my bad on that.

I DON"T want to run inferior versions of games, but that's what people seem to put out for mac, dude! You want to play C&C - it's cider, you want to play Battlefield, it's cider...

those happen to be the games I enjoy playing, and they happen to blow chunks with the Nvidia cards because of who knows why, but it's reality. Sure I wish (and would pay for!) native mac game software, but we all know that doesn't happen much.

In case I wasn't clear, I'm not running torrented cider hacks of PC games or rolling my own, I'm buying the games directly - EA specifically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.