Candy Bar Alternative

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bubbasteve, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Is there any way to change the dashboard icon and the Finder icon without purchasing Candy Bar? I know how to change every other application's icons but not the Finder, Dashboard, and Empty/Full Trash

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

if you wanna change the icons manually you can by going to the following locations of defaulted icons.

First most system icons are in the coretypes bundle which is located at the following path:
    /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle (ctrl click to open the contents)

(this should work) The empty trash and the dashboard icons and the finder icon that is in the dock are found inside the dock.app itself:
    /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/

dashboard.png
    finder.png
    trashempty.png
    trashfull.png

For changing the actual application icons for the finder you have to change the Finder.icns inside the Finder.app and likewise location in the Dashboard.app.

You will have to reset the dock icon cache (/Library/Caches/com.apple.dock.iconcache.501), or logout and in or kill the dock process. Hope that helps, hope that works.

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

You can do it manually, like Benjamin said, but I would strongly encourage getting Candybar. It makes icon switching a breeze, and even if you don't mess with your icons all that often, it is well worth it...

4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I second that, it's so much easier, and allows you to change everything at once if needed, using an iContainer, some of which are brilliant.

::20ROGERSC::