CandyBar help please!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samanthas, Mar 11, 2006.

1. samanthas macrumors regular

Sep 21, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I bought CandyBar and messed around with it (used the Starter icons by Litho) and now I can't get my default icons back. It says "No backup exists for /Users/myusername/Library/Application Support/CandyBar/GenericDocumentIcon.icns. Perhaps you have never applied any icon changes?" I've tried pretty much everything. I even deleted candybar and the Litho icons were still there.

Please help me.
  2. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2003
    I also have Candybar (haven't used it in a while) and seem to recall it asks you if you want to backup your old files. If you didn't, you will have to restore the old ones one-by-one.

Try this:

Highlight the application, file, whatever, that has the icon you want to change back. Don't open it, just hightlight it. In the Finder, select Get Info, a window will open that lists the files information. Click the Icon at the top of the window to highlight it and press the Delete key. That should restore your original icon, at least it does for me. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what else you can do.
  3. icloud macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2005
    ouch...happened to me...deleted my default icons...luckily i didnt have litho so my icons i have now i livable

i can send you the default icons if you want
  4. jkballer23 macrumors member

Mar 6, 2006
    well, if you can't restore them, can you just dragged the icons you changed out of the box and it will restore the old one? If so, that is good. Hopefully you didn't change too many.
  5. samanthas thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 21, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I actually ended up reinstall Mac OS X because nothing was working. Luckily this computer is new and I didn't have much of anything installed.

I made a major mistake with CandyBar and hopefully it doesn't happen again. I used CandyBar after reinstalling and it seems fine now -- I can get the default icons back like that *snap fingers*.
  6. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    Despite reinstalling, it is always nice when a problem has a sweet ending, especially when the software is named CandyBar.