Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
About 8 months ago when I bought my 1st Mac I experimented with Candybar and Pixadex, but later uninstalled them because I couldn’t quite figure it out. I tried loading different icon sets into them but all I wanted it to do was replace all my icons with whatever set I downloaded. At the time I could not get this to work. If I remember correctly one of these is just an icon manager and the other actually changes the icons. Do I need both?

I've been seeing screenshots of people’s desktops and decided I want to try and figure this out again and change some of my icons. I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I know there some sites that let you download all these different type of icon containers. I think one was blue the other red and this is what confused me. I tried loading each into one another and it was just a mess. As I said I just want to find a site that has screenshots of icon, has the container that works with the right program, load it in and that’s it the icons are changed.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
What about a whole set of icons. Is there an easier way to do it to everything instead of doing each manually?
I think you'd use iContainers and I think it would be easier w/ CandyBar. Not terribly sure. :eek:

You don't need both CandyBar and Pixadex, but they work together very well. CandyBar is the app that helps you swap icons, including some of the trickier ones. Pixadex is almost like iPhoto-- it's an organizer and library for your icons. If you're considering getting them both, I think CandyBar2 might be cheaper.

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
About 8 months ago when I bought my 1st Mac I experimented with Candybar and Pixadex, but later uninstalled them because I couldn’t quite figure it out. I tried loading different icon sets into them but all I wanted it to do was replace all my icons with whatever set I downloaded. At the time I could not get this to work. If I remember correctly one of these is just an icon manager and the other actually changes the icons. Do I need both?

I just have iCandy. It works pretty well; it takes a while for me to swap in all the icons I want one-by-one, but after that you're good until the next whim comes along.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
So neither of these apps switch out everything by just loading the container in? It has to be done manually?

Candybar can open up an iContainer and replace the regular system icons with those icons it has inside it (obviously, if the maker didn't create certain icons, they don't get replace). Pixadex is an organization tool if you have lots of icons. It also has a useful feature called Quickdrop, where you select an icon in your collection (which is displayed in the Quickdrop section), then you can drag any item whose icon you want to change over that section and it changes it. That eliminates the whole copy/paste in the info window hassle.

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I am trying to change my Windows Xp partition icon but it is not showing up under volumes in Candybar. I tried using the method posted by cwedl above but it didn't seem to work either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.