Cannibalising a Lacie Big Disk

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    So I get back into the office today only to find, amongst other pleasant surprises, that our server back-up device was broken by an over-zealous building maintenance person who had been doing a health and safety check around the server and RIP Macs... Retrospect was also in a tizzy because it couldn't run its scheduled scripts.

Anyway, so she had knocked it over (why such a narrow base, Lacie?) and it was doing the death-clicking noise when I tried to reconnect it by firewire to the server. Retrospect wouldn't see it, Disk Utility neither.

So I thought, eff it. Order a new one -- a bigger one with a triple interface. Then after doing that I realised that the case could potentially be salvaged... order the new one and I could adopt the current one for my very own and drop another drive into it.

Any words of wisdom on doing this? Conventional drives in there? SATA or ATA-IDE?

Apologies for the small rant but felt like sharing... :)
  2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

Jul 21, 2004
    I believe they are using ATA-IDE in most of the LaCie drives.
  3. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2005
    Ya its those damn Seagate Barracudas how ever you spell it. Mines goin on flea bay soonish! Need to move my music off the noisy MF!
  4. dano the mano macrumors newbie

May 23, 2004
    Lacie big CRAP EXTREME

We have 4 , 500GB big disks from lacie at work and they are all crapping out.. doing the clicking noise and power supply cords are junk. I would never buy another Lacie again.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Bah, just open up the sucker and see what's what. Once you have the disks' model numbers, you can rest easier about getting the right bus speed and all that garbage.

Edit: Oh, back at the office already? Cool!
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Before scrapping -- order a spare power supply brick from LaCie (good idea to have one on hand in a busy shop anyway) and see if that changes the behaviour of the dead drive.
  7. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

Mar 29, 2003
    Yeah, that's what I did with my Big Disk after I had it a while. The Maxtor IDE drive was making too much noise for me, so I took that one out and put it in a server. I just ordered a nice quiet Samsung Spinpoint IDE to replace it. It's a snug fit inside, but it takes a standard 3.5 drive.

I'm not sure whether it'd be SATA - depends how old it is I guess. But as iMeowbot said, as soon as you open it up you'll be able to tell by the connectors.
  8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I have 1 Lacie 160 GB, 1 Lacie 250 GB, 1 Maxtor 250 GB, 1 Arcomdata 160 GB, and 1 Lacie mobile 100 GB drives. They are working well so far. I noticed there are some people who are experiencing problems with larger drives (like a 500 GB one). I wonder what is causing the drive failure for those larger capacity hard drive. Is it because they include 2 plates (like 250 GB + 250 GB to make a 500 GB) in a unit?
  9. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Thanks all. The power brick is working fine as it's just being used for the replacement drive which arrived y'day...

I'm looking forward to getting this working for myself. All new cables and power supply... One firm's loss is another's gain etc. :)
  10. jel macrumors newbie

Oct 19, 2005
    LaCie clicking/stalling fix

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have maybe a little help for anyone with a LaCie drive that has a clicking noise / stalling problem. I have hand a load clicking noise and stalling problems for about 3 months and after getting in touch with LaCie's tech support and being very disappointed with a standard "your drive is out of warranty" reply I decided to open up the drive myself (320GB Big Disc Extreme) (I think the Extreme stands for extreme pain in the a**).

Anyway, once I opened the drive and looking around for about a minute I noticed that one of the black wires connected to one of the drives power supplies had been worn through by the case. So I immediately taped up the wire with wiring tape and put it back together and hay presto the thing works fine.

This is really a design / manufacturing fault as the the inside of the case has some very sharp strips and the wire was not placed in the right position when originally put together and the worn wire was coursing a short in the hole unit.

I am going to forward this posting to LaCIe in the vain hope that they will admit that this the case and the should issue an extended warranty to those people who have this problem.

I hope this helps some people as this problem was driving me crazy.
  11. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

That's really interesting. I haven't opened mine up just yet -- still got to get it home from the office.

Welcome to MR forums... hope you stick round. Nice bunch of people here... well, most of them anyway. :D