Cannot boot from OS 9 Classic?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vita_kk, Sep 14, 2004.

1. vita_kk macrumors newbie

vita_kk

I have bought a PB 1.33 recently, which comes with OS 9 classic. I then installed the system folder for OS 9, afterwards I started the classic.

However, I can't see OS 9 as a startup option under System Preferences --> Startup.

I then called APP and ask, they told me the new version of PB cannot boot from OS 9. They claimed that this is a hardware design issue. I was quite in doubt when hearing this.

Anybody heard about this?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's true. Mac OS 9 doesn't fully support the hardware, so the PowerBook cannot boot from OS 9.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Most any Mac with DDR Memory cannot boot OS 9 (though it's FW800 that signals it's death on the PowerMac).

And it is a hardware issue, mainly the ROM file in OS 9 hasn't been updated to deal with the new hardware design changes -- not to mention the complete lack of control panels and extensions to control any of the new hardware.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

This has been true for quite a while now...

5. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Is there any way to get my iMac 333 to boot in 9? I am running Panther currently and have an external USB TV tuner has OS 9 drivers and a player, and Classic doesn't support OS 9 hardware..Any ideas?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you have a bootable copy of Mac OS 9 installed, just open Startup Disk in your System Preferences and select your OS 9 install and reboot.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah, it should run 8.5 and up. You might have to install OS 9 separately to get it to work, though -- a normal Classic install doesn't deposit all the right magic.

Some machines that can't boot OS 9 themselves can use it under maconlinux. This won't necessarily get absolutely everything working, but it does enable some features that Classic hides, like the old Finder. The MOL folks are close to getting this running under OS X too; this should rule, even to have multiple X versions running.

8. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

How do I got about setting it up then? I just did a fresh install of Panther yesterday on a 40gb hd with two partitions..One 7.8 gb one (where OS X is) and the other a 29gb hd for whatever. I was under the impression that if Classic was installed, which I do believe it is, that Mac OS 9 would show up under your selection for Startup Disc, although, I do not see it. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

9. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Officially, any machine made before the Power Mac G4 (MDD) will boot OS 9, and anything made afterward will not. Even machines that were released very close to that time (including my 12" PowerBook 867) will not boot OS 9, but can only run the Classic environment.

10. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

correct, but like i have said countless times in threads like this there are in fact many ROM hacks for os 9 to run on newer hardware.

11. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Know any hacks for running OS 9 hardware without running dual boot?