Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outshined

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Howdy, I would like to install OS 9 (not classic) but I cannot boot the CD holding C or from the startup disc selection. The current version is OS 10.4.7. What are my options?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
outshined said:
Howdy, I would like to install OS 9 (not classic) but I cannot boot the CD holding C or from the startup disc selection. The current version is OS 10.4.7. What are my options?

OS 9 is Classic, so I'm not sure what you mean. What model of Mac are you using? Macs made after a certain date cannot boot OS9, but can still run the Classic environment -- up to but not including the Intel Macs.

More information required!

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
outshined:

I believe starting with the Mirrored Drive Door units that ability to boot into OS 9 off install CD was disabled. Please as a friendly reminder to all who post question provide information about model, OS, and other hardware specs so that we can help. Most of us our quite knowledgable about Apple computers, but the more you information the better the answer one can receive.

IJ Reilly:
OS 9 is Classic

Classic is not the same as booting into OS 9. If one has OS 9 apps, your best bet is to boot into OS 9 to use them.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Dane D. said:
I believe starting with the Mirrored Drive Door units that ability to boot into OS 9 off install CD was disabled.

Only some of them. Some dual 1.25 MDDs were the last to boot into OS9; we have one in the office. The dual 1.42 MDD does not.

</pedant> ;)

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Blue Velvet said:
Only some of them. Some dual 1.25 MDDs were the last to boot into OS9; we have one in the office. The dual 1.42 MDD does not.

</pedant> ;)
The MDD G4/DP867 in our office will not boot off OS 9 install CD, I know because I tried and keep getting a message that said something to the affect of not supported on this unit. I even sent a email message to Apple about this and they said the hardware will not boot off OS 9 install disc. You can install OS 9, and then under System Prefs>Startup Disc>select the OS 9 folder>restart.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
You can get a listfrom Apple of the first revisions that won't boot in OS 9, anything on the list or newer won't boot in OS 9.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Dane D. said:
Classic is not the same as booting into OS 9. If one has OS 9 apps, your best bet is to boot into OS 9 to use them.

I'm not sure I know what you mean. I said OS9 is Classic, which is true. There's virtually no need to ever boot into OS9 to use OS9 applications. If an application runs in booted OS9, it will almost certainly run perfectly in the Classic environment. I have only ever found one exception to this rule in the five or so years I've been using Classic in OSX.

Anyhow, the OP still needs to answer some questions if we're going to have any chance of helping him.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
IJ Reilly said:
I'm not sure I know what you mean. I said OS9 is Classic, which is true. There's virtually no need to ever boot into OS9 to use OS9 applications. If an application runs in booted OS9, it will almost certainly run perfectly in the Classic environment. I have only ever found one exception to this rule in the five or so years I've been using Classic in OSX.

Anyhow, the OP still needs to answer some questions if we're going to have any chance of helping him.
An example would be UT GOTY, I can't run this game in classic. The game is designed for OS 8.5 or something higher I believe, but will not work in the 'Classic' OS. Just one example.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Dane D. said:
An example would be UT GOTY, I can't run this game in classic. The game is designed for OS 8.5 or something higher I believe, but will not work in the 'Classic' OS. Just one example.

And another? A game is the only example I have ever found. This is due to a graphics acceleration technology that Apple supported for only a short time. Because it was abandoned, it didn't make it to OSX and doesn't work in the Classic Environment. For virtually everything else, Classic works fine.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Blue Velvet said:

But even though that 1.25 will boot into 9, it'll only boot it from the hard drive, not the OS 9 CD (I used to have one) :)

And for the record, there's a model of dual 1.42 that can boot OS 9 (it's the 1.25 BTO up to 1.42), in addition to the model that can't.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Um...

Not to sound TOO harsh, but don't you think it's time to move to OS X permanently?

I hear it's WAY BETTER than OS 9...

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
IJ Reilly said:
And another? A game is the only example I have ever found.

Virtual PC 3

appleretailguy said:
Not to sound TOO harsh, but don't you think it's time to move to OS X permanently?

I hear it's WAY BETTER than OS 9...

Dim and unhelpful comment...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
dpaanlka said:
Virtual PC 3

Does it run in 9.2? The later versions of OS9 broke a few applications. I think possibly VPC 3.0 was one of them. I also just checked VPC 4.0. Apparently it's not compatible with Classic either. So that's four. A pretty short list, still.

yawg

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
MDD will boot from CD

Yes you can boot from the OS9 installer-CD but it has to be the original G4-CD that came with the MDD. I have one of the latest models, a 1.25 gig single-CPU.

Jörg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.