Cannot boot, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DefiantSoul, Dec 23, 2004.

1. DefiantSoul macrumors member

Dec 23, 2004
    I think I messed with some files I shouldn't have while I was in OS9, then when I tried to boot into X, and now every time after that, it stops and the UNIX terminal comes up and says "/etc/master.passwd: no such file or directory" I don't know enough about UNIX to do a whole lot. Is there any way I can make it boot into 9 again from the terminal, or am I screwed and just resort to reinstalling? I am using OSX 10.2.8, and OS9 9.2.2. Any assistance would be awesome.

2. szark macrumors 68030

May 14, 2002
    After the startup chime, press and hold the Option key. That should give you a menu which allows you to select OS 9 as your startup disk.
  3. DefiantSoul thread starter macrumors member

Dec 23, 2004
    Yeah, I figured I could do that, unfortuanately I'm home for the holiday, and I left my standard keyboard at school. I have a wireless one and it isn't even recognized untill it's too late. That's why I was wondering if there was any way to change the startup disk trough the UNIX terminal.
  4. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    I suggest getting a wired keyboard. It never hurts to have an extra of the less than $20 pieces of hardware that can keep you from getting work done laying around for a time of need.
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Sounds like he threw away one of the dozen unix files sitting in the root directory, that's invisible under OS X -- or moved it.

Most likely you killed one of the aliases that is important. Note: there's a couple files you can throw away -- which are regenerated on the next boot -- but it's not something to casually experiment with.

I accidentally tossed that one myself (so I've seen that error before myself), but I didn't empty the trash so I just dragged it back out.

Edit: sounds like you left yourself open for some fun. :p