Cannot change sound.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by applecrag, Nov 26, 2006.

1. applecrag macrumors regular

Hey all I was just wondering how I can make this sound thing go away. every time i try to change my volume i get this picture. whats it mean and how can i fix it? thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. 66217 Guest

But do volume increase/decrease?
    I never get that sign that is below the volume bar.

As for the semitransparent pic you get, that is normal. The only strange thing is that symbol at the bottom of the pic.

3. applecrag thread starter macrumors regular

no the volume does not change. i know the transparent window is normal but im wondering about that "not permitted" symbol.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't think I've seen this before...interesting.

What happens if you try to change the volume from the menu bar? What about through System Preferences --> Sound? Does anything look funny in that preference pane? What about your Audio MIDI Setup (in Applications --> Utilities)? What does that look like?

5. applecrag thread starter macrumors regular

ive tried to change the sound through both the menu bar and preferences...both a grayed out....strange...annoying but strange.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Okay, can you post a screenshot of your Audio MIDI Setup settings?

7. TitaniumDreads macrumors newbie

hmmmm

I was having this problem too but then it magically disappeared after 2 days. I'm still curious how to fix it if it comes up, how do i find my audio midi settings?

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Audio MIDI Setup is in Applications --> Utilities. I really have no idea whether the solution is in there, but I wondered if it would show anything out of the ordinary.

9. shaungroves macrumors newbie

More symptom details

I'm getting the same not permitted symbol. But here's some more symptoms:

1. Sound works fine with headphones attached.

2. Without headphones attached, I get the not-permitted symbol too, and the volume will not go up or down.

2. Headphone jack lights up red (freaky) from within when headphones are not attached.

3. Sound preferences: device chosen for output is "Digital Out" and I'm given no other options to switch this setting to.

Any help would be VERY appreciated. Thanks.

-Shaun
    shaunfanmail@bellsouth.net

10. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

It means your Mac thinks it has an optical cable attached to it. It's sending audio signals with a laser, thats why it's red.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i had this on my MacBook Pro a couple of times when using Tiger. a simple restart fixed it.

12. shaungroves macrumors newbie

Fixed!

A friend who had this issue told me to plug my headphones into the jack over and over and it would stop. It did. After nine insertions the red light went away and everything's OK.

13. jnolas2 macrumors member

I had this same problem with my old MacBook. Unfortunately for me, putting headphones in and out did not fix the problem. I ultimately had to take it to the Apple Store and had to send it away to be repaired.

14. milan111 macrumors newbie

Same Problem :(

Hey, did u get ant solution to this problem ? If yes, then can u please post it here so that it could help me as well as others who have this problem.
    And yea when I restart my mac then it goes away but thats another problem, restarting your mac every time you see this :(