Cannot connect to my Win XP machine from my Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ehmjay, Apr 26, 2006.

1. ehmjay macrumors member

Hey guys,

having some troubles. I have been trying to connect to my PC for ages now and have been having no luck. The odd part is that going from my PC to my Mac works like a charm, its just when I try to log into XP that it wont work.

I followed the instructions to networking XP and OSX from this site: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704
    but still no luck.

The windows firewall is turned off and I think i'm entering in everything correctly. The error I get when connecting is "incorrect username or password" or something to that degree.

Could it be I set something up wrong on the PC side of things? Could it be the wireless network itself?

I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong, especially since the PC will connect to the Powerbook, but the Powerbook wont connect to the PC.

Please help!

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Is the firewall on on the XP machine? SP2 turns the firewall on by default and turns off network file sharing.

Run the network setup wizard again on the XP computer (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Communications>Network Setup Wizard) and make sure you allow file and print sharing.

If that still doesn't work, try turning off the firewall on a wired connection and see if you can connect from there.

3. ehmjay thread starter macrumors member

firewall is off, and the network setup was run and stiill no luck. the wired network isn't really an option...

this is becoming a real night mare!

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Do you happen to have another PC which you could use to see if it's accessible from that?

Also, when setting up a folder for sharing, you might want to be sure you've clicked on the Permissions button (on XP) to ensure you've properly set up access permissions.

5. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Are you running XP Pro or XP Home? If you're running XP Pro, try connecting to smb://WindowsComputerIPAddress/C$ on the Mac and use your administrator username and password. If you're running XP Home, try smb://WindowsComputerIPAddress/shareddocs on the Mac.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Well, I also have a problem with Mac-XP network.

I mainly use my small network at home (all computers are connected to 10 Mbps Ethernet hub) for playing Starcraft, but sometimes I need to transfer a file or too.

Sometimes (very rarely) the network worked OK. I set everything up using the instructions on this page http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704. But when I try to connect to PC (XP Home) from my 10.4.6, after some "thinking" Mac gives the following error:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://(pcsipaddress)/shareddocs" (or any other shared folder) could not be read or written
    Error code -36.

Obliously, the IS a connection, because if there isnt, Mac after some searching says something like "not found on AFP"

If I try to connect to Mac from XP, it doesn't even find it on the network :confused:

Please!! I need help!

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I did everything in the instruction, but I still get this -36 error :confused:

Maybe I can do something with it on the PC-side?

When I create a Starcraft game on Mac, PC wont see it, if server is PC, Mac sees the game, but says "Cannot join the game" :mad: :mad:

Strangely enough, but when I had AirPort base station, lan games were working, but not file transfer. Now, I dont have the Base Station, so im limited to ethernet

8. ehmjay thread starter macrumors member

Im on XP pro and tried the tip but still getting the name or password error.

ERG!

9. tonyl macrumors 6502

You need to change the folder security to be read by everyone. Just right click and select properties, security, select everyone, then click read, list.

10. ehmjay thread starter macrumors member

its allready set so that everything is checked.

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

UPDATE ON MY PROBLEM.

Yesterday a miracle happened - PC could see Mac on the network and I with my friend had a few cool games in StarCraft :) But Mac couldnt see PC, it even didnt ping it :confused:

Today, Mac connected to PC with no problems AT ALL. And PC can see and connect to Mac with no problems too :cool: Im so happy! :D

12. ehmjay thread starter macrumors member

13. mmcxiiad macrumors 6502

my wife had this problem for a while. we finally figgured out that her user name on the xp box was "firstname lastname" and was trying to log in remotely only using her "firstname". you have to use your exact user name. maybe this will help someone.

14. Steph21 macrumors newbie

same here does ne one know how to fix this