Cannot decide on which to pick: 12" iBook or 12" PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by YS2003, Mar 14, 2005.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I read many posts on various iBook and PB and digested suggestions/reviews from the fellow forum members. But, I cannot still make a decision.

I travel quite often (a few nights per trip and I am always on the road as I am in sales). I have two PBs at home (15"). Ti is a little fragile so I don't want to take it outside. My Al 15" PB is a little big and so nice and I don't want to riks denting or scratching it while it may be less convenience to carrying it along on the road.

So, 12" size is good option for me (this, I know). The 12" iBook is good value (built in airport express card, 30 GB, 32MB VRAM, decent screen res for a 12", slot loading DVD/CD RW drive, and sturdy construction.

But, at the same time, I would like to keep my next laptop for a while and 12" PB is more technologically advanced than iBook. 80 GB, faster chip, Super Drive, bluetooth, and on and on. But, it is a lilttle frigile compared to iBook, in terms of the casing (it is easy to dent, accoridng to other forum members).

I am planning the proposal, presentation slids, market research by checking web, work processing, spread sheet, and etc. Possibly in the future some type of video editining or graphics work (not now, but in the future).

I appreciate any feedback/suggestions from other members who has either or both 12" iBook and 12" PB.

2. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

It kinda sounds like your mind is already made up. That is, you're leaning toward the iBook? (I'm biased, that's what i have) It will be more durable, and is a much better value right now. You also mentioned you have an old TiBook, I think the iBook will last you as long as your Tibook has.
    As for the tasks you mentioned, iBook will handle it with ease, and I believe will handle those things you mentioned for a good time in the future.

Save some $, go with the iBook :D

3. segundo macrumors member

I have had an iBook and a Powerbook now. I think the iBook is the better value of the two. I'm not saying I don't love my Powerbook, but an iBook gives you an incredibly low price, better Airport reception, and better battery life. If I had it to do over again I'd buy an iBook and use the extra cash to beef up a home desktop mac. Oh wait, I did that too! Seriously though, it's just impossible to fight the value of an iBook.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, since your "big" concern is not getting dents or any damage to your PB then I would go with the iBook but you may want to upgrade the HDD to 60gigs from the stock 30 (your choice). If you do that then maybe add BT and it's still cheaper than the PB but you know that ;)
    I have an iBook (check sig.) and like it very much (handles flash well, with some photoshop-mild to medium for me) and with that in mind if you did alot of video editing then I would go with the PB for the long haul....
    The iBook seems to fit the bill for you, enjoy the one you choose:D

5. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I'm debating the same question myself. The only thing holding me back from purchashing the 12" iBook is the inability to order one with a SuperDrive.

Is it possible to add a "real SuperDrive" to a 12" iBook? (one that will be recognized/work by iDVD, etc). Don't need dual-layer unless it's not much more than a "regular" DVD-RW.

If there is such a possibility, please name the brand/model and average price if you can.

6. Southbridge macrumors regular

Southbridge

If money is an issue, get the iBook and jack up the memory to 1GB so it will have similar performance to the PB....

7. belf8st macrumors member

idvd 5 recognizes external dvd burners now. I've got an external firewire burner that I use with imovie/idvd all the time now.

8. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

An external burner is fine for a desktop, but it kinds of defeat the purpose of a portable computer... Good to know about iDVD 5 though.

9. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Well, disclaimer: I am biased the other way. I bought a PB12 in October, and was so thrilled I ordered another (and gave my old one to my gf) and got it last week.

After making them as equivalent as possible (incr RAM to 512MB, HD space, BT) the price difference is $300. This buys you:
    1. A much better LCD (brighter etc)
    2. Twice the Video RAM
    3. A better video card, that will be compatible with Tiger's eyecandy
    4. real use of an external display w/o hacks
    5. Scrolling capability on the trackpad (its BRILLIANT!)
    6. A faster processor and front-side bus

It really is worth it.

-RS

10. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Since you already have two PowerBooks, I saw save the money and get the iBook. Just wait for Tiger to come out. Hopefully there will be another revision around that time. You'll appreciate the durability. And you still have your PowerBooks if you need the extra power.

lasuther

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. The iBook's for you. I travel with mine daily and it still looks great. And it gets abused here on Chicago buses and trains, believe me!

12. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Now leaning toward iBook

Thank you for all the constructive comments and advice on this. I am now leaning more toward iBook 12" after reading the previous posts. I will check up Apple Store in Buffalo NY as I am going to in town for business. Depending on the mood I am in this evening, I may go for an iBook tonight at the store (I have not yet made up my mind 100% as of now). It is good to hear in the posts that iBook users/owners are happy with their purchase and iBook is meeting their expectations.

I like the value (sub $1000), durability, portability, Wi Fi reception (airport reception), and feeling that I can recover more easily in an event of mishaps with iBook while I am on the road (ie. dropping an iBook and etc). If mishaps happen to PB, the feeling of loss will be more significant as it cost several hundreds more than iBook.

I am a little concerned about the 32MB of VRAM as it is the previous generation's ATI card (and possible problems when I decide to update it for Tiger in the future, even though Panther in its current form is very good enough). But, hey, most of the 12" portable notebooks do not even have the dedicated VRAM (my company-issued Dell X200 notebook has a shared memory for graphics.

13. lasuther macrumors 6502a

One thing to think about, there have been updates in April 2003 and April 2004 for the iBook. I would hope to see another update this April. Hopefully the video card will see an update with Tiger being released soon.

lasuther

14. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

I agree with you on the portability factor. I don't really want to carry around any attachments. That said, a superdrive can be picked up for just of $100 on eBay and it installs and works just fine. I installed one in my system and it works like a charm. I currently have the 12" iBook but have an upgraded hard drive (80 GB 5400), ram, and a superdrive. The install took about two hours for all three items. Once you are in there it doesn't take any extra time to add the other items.

To be honest, I haven't had an opportunity to use it other than to test it so I'm not sure why I added it. I do plan on working with it over the summer a bit as I intend to play around with the iLife 05 package a bit. I did test it, however, and it I can't figure out why Mac doesn't do this other than to keep the distance between the 12" iBook and PB. The only difference that remains is the video card and that can't be changed on the iBook. That is the only true barrier between the two at this point. Some say style, but that is truly subjective. I am actually tired of the same old silver/black laptop and am glad to have something unique and stylish for a change. I come from a long line of silver/black Windows based laptops.

15. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Thats very true, but dont forget that some of those shared cards they are coming out with now(Sony in particular), can have up to 128 of shared video memory. Its nopt dedicated but its better than the ati 9200 in the ibook. ;)

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

get the powerbook, the ibooks are due an update and i dont think it will happen in a while

and ^ 128MB of shared memory is not as good as 32MB of dedicated, it's not the size but the speed and the gpu itself, if it's an intel integrated poop the 9200 will piss all over it.

17. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Yea right :rolleyes:

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

instead of just replying in doubt look into it.

19. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

still thinking which to pick

The previous post reminded me of the fact iBook has not been updated since last spring. So, I may end up buying the old version right before the possible update (but, it is impossible to time this type of thing in computer technology as new versions will always come to market after you just bought a new machine which just became the old version).

But, PB is just updated several weeks ago and I think Apple took Tiger's hardware requirement into consideration when they updated PB (ie. enought VRAM to take advantage of Tiger's graphics capabilities).

The reason I am going for another portable Apple notebook is I would like to enjoy MacIntosh computing experience even if I am not at home. As you can see in my sig, I have 5 notebooks already (2 Mac and 3 Wintel) and this new addition should last me a while as I don't want to keep adding new machines in the stable (I am alomost out of desk space).

I will check up the actual PB and iBook this evening at Apple Store in Buffalo.

20. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

don't want to make your decision harder but imo the 12" Powerbook is actually better value at the mo, for £350 more you get:

Double the ram: 512 ram vs 256
    Faster processor: 1.5ghz vs 1.2
    Better gfx: 64mb NVIDIA GeForce FX GO 5200 vs 32mb ATI 9200
    Double and faster hd: 60gb 5400 vs 30gb 4500
    Bluetooth 2.0 standard vs None

and generally a higher quality laptop with a gorgeous brushed aluminium finish and a slightly more compact dimensions and a much nicer keyboard. They are all little things, but i just think the ibooks have a cheap feel to them.

21. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I'm not quite sure if this is a valid point to consider, but iBooks have that pesky logic board problem. It has reared it's ugly head in a few G4 iBook's as well now.

I just bought (and am typing on now) a 700 mhz G3 iBook. I love it to death, and wish for it to last me throughout my remaining undergraduate years and into graduate school..however, I am constantly living in fear that my logic board will fail me. I almost wish i would have spent about $175 more and got a used PB 550 or something. they have dual hinges, and I have yet to hear about their logic board failing ( if i am wrong, please provide a link)

food for thought, possibly.

22. maya macrumors 68040

maya

This thread/topic has been done 10x100.

If you have the money go with the PB, if not iBook. <-- as simple as that, since in the end no one here is paying your credit card bill or cares how much $$$ you have, just as long as you are happy with what you got and get the job done. :)

I honestly feel that the iBooks are going to be updated in late April - mid May with a better GPU and faster processor, and so forth. :)

23. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I too have been debating this issue, so i went into my local reseller to have a bit of a play with both the iBook and Powerbook. While i think the iBook is good value and the design is pretty cool, as soon as i started using the keyboard and trackpad i was very turned off by it. It felt really cheap, plasticy and cluncky when using it. :( Plus my friend's iBook gets really dirty and he is always having to clean it.

I then went and tried out the PBook - the keyboard and trackpad were absolutly fantastic!!! They were a dream to use.

On this basis alone i would choose the PBook over the iBook...but hey that's just my opinion, so if this doesnt bother you go wiht the iBook.

Good Luck! :)

24. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

iBooks are great for your needs (especially longer battery life), but I has some major disadvantages:

Keyboard. It really sucks :(
    GPU. Pretty old already.

But the Tiger is not a problem of u buy iBook, because you already have at least 1 Mac that will run it ok (AlBook). If Core Image will not gonna work on this iBook, Quartz Extreme will.

Get an iBook :)

25. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

in addition the iBook weighs more 0.3 lbs (ok a little more)
    no DVI output (conference rooms are starting to use LCD monitors rather than video projections)
    A slower hard drive 4200 vs 5400 Barefeats tests showed that this alone was a significant performance driver (10-15% better)
    Faster system bus 133 vs 167