Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDude415

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
San Francisco
My iMac G3 is connected to a wired router that is connected to a DSL modem, and I cannot get it to connect i jus at get the error message "Cannot find PPPoE Server", but my AirPort express that is connected to the same router works fine...what is the problem?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
My iMac G3 is connected to a wired router that is connected to a DSL modem, and I cannot get it to connect i jus at get the error message "Cannot find PPPoE Server", but my AirPort express that is connected to the same router works fine...what is the problem?

Make sure the iMac is set to connect via dhcp, since it will get its connection from the router. Kind of sounds like its set up to connect via PPPoE, which should be take care of by the router itself.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Its asking for a telephone number...wtf?

how do you have the machine set to connect to the internet. Just sounds like its set up as if it was connecting to the modem directly, instead of set to connect to the router.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
I have the Airport Express set to connect via PPPoE as well as the iMac...how is it supposed to be done?

set it up to connect via dhcp. The only thing that needs to be set to connect via PPPoE is the router connected to the modem. Everything else can be dhcp, since they will get their IP addresses from the router connected to the modem.

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
dsl modems are PPPoE.

Read the original post.

You have to put in a valid username and password.

This is found under system preferences--->networking-->configure--->PPPoE.

--Eric

MacDude415

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
San Francisco
I don't know what I'm not understanding but how do I configure the router to PPPoE, where is this done, the only things I seem to be able to configure it the AirPort Express and my iMac...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.