"Cannot get mail. Connection to server failed."

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Cutwolf, Apr 18, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2010
    Hi all --

Recently, whenever I try to search for mail on the server, I get the error message in the title.

Mail comes in fine and sends fine, but I can't search on the server. I'm using my gmail account setup with the Exchange option.

Any ideas?

2. macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2011
    Mine has been working just fine until today -- same problem. I think it's an apple issue -- I have mail accounts on yahoo, gmail, live, etc. and none of them work now although they've worked fine until this afternoon. I have not made any changes to my ipad2, mail app, firewall, or router or anything else. If you google this problem there are a lot of posts today -- many people having this problem...no resolutions though. Any ideas?:confused:
  3. macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2011
    I misread your post, I don't get any access to mail, just the annoying "spinning wait" while it tries to retrieve my mail, not sending mail, not receiving mail.
  4. macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2011
    Same thing is happening to me, did you discover a solution?
  5. macrumors member

Jun 3, 2011
    The same thing happened to my iPad just yesterday. My gmail account pushed to my Mail on the iPad does not work and says my username or password is wrong. What I did was to change a new password and everything is fine now.

Apparently, gmail requires a password that needs 8 or more characters now, which was why my old 6-character password does not work anymore.
  6. macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2011
    Solution to gmail problems,enable pop,then delete gmail account and reregister it .then restart iPad.this is what the apple techs do.