Cannot get Mail or Entourage to work.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Attonine, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Attonine macrumors 6502a

Both Mail and Entourage will not connct to the exchange server in my place of work. All details have been input absolutely correctly. They simply will not connect.

The odd thing is that when I first tried to connect entourage it did connect for that day only, but has neverf connected since. I simply recieve an error message saying the usernam and/or password are incorrect.

Mail.....simply recieve a message that the mail server is not responding.

i have searched the web for solutions but found nothing yet.

I am trying to connect from my office so am using the same connection that currently works on my company supplied windows laptop!

Any, and I mean any ideas will be greatfully recieved.

2. oblomow macrumors 68000

oblomow

Are you sure you windows account isn't locked? It will happen after a couple
    of unsuccessful login attempts. What happens if you try to send mail using
    the exchange server? You specified the correct port (25), user name and password there?

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Make sure that your Exchange server is configured correctly to work with Entourage. For more details about that, you might find the Mactopia article titled working with Exchange to be useful.

You might also find the Entourage MVP site useful, specifically the Exchange support page on there.

If you're still having problems after reading over those sites, check out the Microsoft public newsgroup for Entourage. Lots of Entourage experts hang out in there and answer questions from folks, so they might be able to give you some more assistance.

Best regards,
    Nadyne.

--
    Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher
    Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit
    http://blogs.msdn.com/nadyne/
    http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/

4. Attonine thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am still unable to get either mail or entourage to work with out exchange server. I have deleated entourage just to make things easier. I have tried mail as an exchange account and IMAP account, yes IMAP is on on the server. I simply recieve a message saying the server is not responding.

Any ideas

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you read Microsoft's Exchange web site, then you know that neither Mail nor Entourage is guaranteed to work with your implementation of Exchange. IMAP-compatibility is optional on the server side. So too is Entourage 2004-compatibility. The fact that you were able to connect for one day means only that IMAP- and Entourage 2004-compatibility were available on that day. These are issues that you need to take-up with your IT staff. If they disabled the features you want, then there is absolutely nothing than any of us can do to help you.

6. Attonine thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps I need to be more specific. I have removed Entourage 2004 from my Mac, so any reference to Entourage functionality is redundant.

I am currently working on getting Mail to work.

IMAP functionality is always ON, on our Exchange server, every day, so theoretically at least, this functionality is available at all times. As far as I am aware, our Exchange server was recently upgraded and so should be the most current money can buy.

I have attempted to set up mail as an Exchange Account and an IMAP account. All details input are correct, this has been varified by the systems Administrator/IT Manager, and the member of the Computer Science Department who set up the server.

So far I have only had slight success under Exchange Account settings. I have managed to sync the exchange account, see and read any mails already in my account, as used with my office PC. I have not been able to send or recieve any mails. As an IMAP account I have had no success whatsoever.

I have searched forums and chatrooms fairly extensively, but as yet have found nothing. The stock answer is to make sure IMAP is enabled and to set up as an IMAp account rather than an Exchange account, In this case thesesolutions don't seem to be the answer.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is good, if true.
    This is not good in my experience. When my firm upgraded its Exchange server, I lost the ability to establish an Exchange acccount in Mail using its Exchange settings. Prior to the upgrade, Mail's Exchange settings worked better than Entourage 2004.
    It is good that someone familiar with your Exchange server is working with you.
    At this point, you are doing better than I am.
    As you should have discerned by now, one of the reasons that you have not found useful information in forums and chatrooms is that every implementation of Exchange is different. This is the way that Microsoft wants it. Otherwise, it would have ported Outlook to MacOS X. FWIW, Outlook 2001 still works with my Exchange server under MacOS 9.

The fact that your Computer Science friend is working with you is a very good thing. Perhaps, he is willing to carefully examine his setup and to modify them to allow Mail to work with your server to its fullest extent.

Good luck.