Cannot import mp4 into iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by denisavu, Sep 9, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am a noob to the scene, both to the Mac and iPod world. I am trying to import an mp4 file created from a DVD into iTunes' Movie library. I've tried both "importing a file" and "drag-and-drop" methods to no avail. In the latter method, on dragging a "plus" sign follows the drag but then nothing happens. Waited a couple minutes to see whether a status bar indicating the import would initiate but it does not. I am using the latest version of iTunes. Music files work fine, why not video?

Thanks for any help you all can give.

Denis

2. macrumors 601

gloss

Hi Denis. I get the impression that iTunes is really picky about the way the file is tagged and such. I'd suggest getting the demo for Visualhub, setting it to mp4, and running your video through it. It'll only produce a 2 minute clip because it's a demo. See if that clip imports into iTunes without issue (which it should).

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply gloss! I actually used some manual from the internet in coding the mp4 file. Maybe I configured the conversion wrong. In fact, I am giving Handbrake a shot, actually giving the Hi-res iPod preset a shot. Will keep you posted! Thanks again!:)

4. macrumors member

DENZIE

hey for converting a dvd to video (mp4) i highly recommend getting handbrake, its free and pretty easy to use, and is very customisable, for video to video conversion buy visual hub, its great

5. macrumors 601

gloss

The presets should work like a charm. I did some conversions yesterday with them and didn't have any issues.

6. macrumors 65816

7. macrumors regular

8. macrumors 601

gloss

throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder, stamp three times, and spin in a circle.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hooray for Handbrake! Used the Hi-Rez preset and it worked like a charm. Just to let everyone know that I was able to migrate all my mp3's to the Mac environment using Senuti - what a great application!

10. macrumors 601

gloss

Good to hear, sir. Senuti is indeed a useful app.

11. macrumors newbie

timhood

Yeah, I know this is an old thread, but people still search for it (like me).

This was the answer for me. I had been using RipIt to convert to High Quality MP4. I think I'll switch to High Quality M4V now.

12. macrumors regular

kumquat

I'd just like to add that since the roll out of iTunes 11 a lot of people have been confused thinking their mp4s are not being added and really they are being added but just to the Home Movies folder instead of the Movies folder.

13. macrumors newbie

The reason of iTunes won't import MP4, no mater by dragging and dropping or by selecting Add File to Libray... from iTunes menu, is iTunes supports most of MP4 and MOV files, but not All. iTunes use the same technology as QuickTime to play media files, it has the same limitation on media file formats.

In order to solve the issue of "can't add MP4 to iTunes" or "can't transfer MP4 to iPhone, iPod, etc via iTunes", we strongly recommend converting MP4 to iTunes supported formats. To do this, you need a powerful yet easy-to-use MP4 to iTunes Converter.