Cannot insert disk on iBook SuperDrive!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by joshysquashy, Aug 13, 2006.

1. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

The last time I tried to insert a disk it would not go in, something (not a disk) was stopping it once it had traveled about half way in.

I then noticed that when waking from sleep or turning on, the normal noise was very different, cut short, and sounded like it was struggling against something.

I believe the mechanism of the drive has somehow failed. Does anyone have any solutions?

It is a iBook G4 1.33GHz with 1.25GB ram installed if that helps.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. joshysquashy thread starter macrumors 6502a

On top of this, one time when I started the laptop, I noticed three blue stripes appear from the top to the bottom of the screen, spaced across the screen. I pressed and held the power button and it started normaly the next time, still with the same disk drive problem.

I am doing a full backup now but I'm really worried it might die!

3. joshysquashy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the false alarm (and the triple post!!!) but I fixed the problem (at least for the moment).

I found by forcing a disk in at the same moment the computer made the noise (checking the disk drive after sleeping or on startup) I managed to forcibly insert the disk and now it appears to work perfectly.

I don't think this post should get wastelanded even if I sorted it out myself as others may have the same problem, and this is my solution!

So to clarify! If you cant get your disk in:
    1. Put the laptop to sleep
    2. Wake it up again
    3. When you hear the noise push in a disk and keep pushing until it will go in!

4. jlukas macrumors newbie

I would suggest that you use a disk you don't care about, in case it get stuck/scratched/etc.

5. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

I'm no expert, but I think using force on any electronic device is a BAD idea.:p If you live near an Apple store I'm sure they could help. They are very busy so perhaps call in advance. This is aimed at anyone else who has similar problems, obviously its too late for you.

6. ramonesguy macrumors newbie

ramonesguy

Cannot insert disk on iBook SuperDrive!

The fix from above (put to sleep>force disc into drive) worked for me too.