Cannot launch IE...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jiddick ExRex, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The application "Explorer" could not be launched because of a shared library error: ":<MacIE Carbon (Release)><MacIE Carbon (Release)><JNILib><>"

What is this? I need IE for my work.

I tried making a new user but the problem persists.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Is this IE through Parallels or old IE for 5.X for Mac? (judging from the "MacIE Carbon" part, I'm guessing the latter)

3. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Correct.

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You actually *need* IE 5 for Mac??? Development on that browser was stopped almost four years ago! What kind of crappy site could possibly need that browser?

(Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question...I imagine it has something to do with how incredibly ancient IE 5 is though.)

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If I understand that to mean my assumption is correct, I wouldn't recommend using the old Mac version of IE anyway. It's not IE the way you think of IE, and it's support for CSS and Javascript and everything else is about as bad as it gets.

I'd much sooner recommend you use something like Parallels to actually use IE from within Windows rather than MacIE.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

MacIE was always a horrible browser, and the chance that it would work with anything that Safari or Firefox don't is about one in a million, even if the site says it requires IE.

7. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I need it yes. I am sorry to say it but you guys are not very helpful. The script was written for IE and I cannot use Parallels because we still use PPC at my job. Besides I need it for switch tasks which I simply cannot justify halving the system's ressources on.

But yes, I am also amazed that we still use that crap, theres just nothing I can do about it since it's a decision taken higher up.

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I take a bit of offense over this as I was doing my best to be helpful with the information I had. How was I to assume from this part of your sig,
    that you only had PPC at work?

Beyond that, if you're using MacIE on that MacBook, it's distinctly possible that's the problem. MacIE is PPC-only and hasn't been actively developed for in years. Because of that, I don't know if you'll get it to work on Intel hardware, even with Rosetta emulation.

I'm sorry that you don't consider that helpful, but if you have a C2D MacBook, I'd start talking to your boss about Parallels. It's $80 and well worth it if you *HAVE* to have IE.

9. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Ah, I now see the confusion. We do have Intel machines but my workstation is a PPC. All our laptops are Intel based and do have Parallels. It would simply not really be worth the while to switch back and forth because of one browser in this case and would be slowing work down rather than speeding it up. This is why I deemed that if you guys knew about the problem it would be a lot faster than apple-tabbing around between OSs.

Besides the laptop I got in my sig was for working at home, thus it is at home :)

I guess the easiest way to make this work is to modify the script so it works in safari...

Thx anyways.

10. mistyz23 macrumors member

mistyz23

My work REQUIRED me to check my company email from home. It also REQUIRED IE.

I quit my job this week!!!! *does the happy I don't need IE dance* :D

I never got it to actually load, either. No library error (I get that in Word instead). I get the beach ball of death.