Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
So my iPhone seems to be making/receiving calls for now. I wanted to do a test on my battery drain. So I charged it to 100% at around 4am, went to sleep, and around 8 hour 30 min later it's at 80%. 20% battery drain without any use seems a little excessive? Usage shows 21 minutes, but I only used it for 2-3 minutes, and nothing running in background. I made an appointment at the Apple store, guess I have no choice but to exchange.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    103.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Have you tried re-installing your iOS? Restore as new and don't install the backup yet. See if it's a program on your phone that's somehow causing the issue.

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Have you tried re-installing your iOS? Restore as new and don't install the backup yet. See if it's a program on your phone that's somehow causing the issue.

I did the "restore as new" three times yesterday. I didn't use a backup. I just installed the apps from itunes after it was finished restoring.

I was playing words with friends with a buddy next to me, and we compared battery drainage when playing, and mine was draining faster. I think I started at 38% and he started at 83%. After about 20-30 minutes of playing, mine was at 22% and his was at 74%. But then I'm on Verizon and he's on AT&T, maybe AT&T iPhones have better battery life?

Anyways going to Apple Store now.

Last edited:

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
So my iPhone seems to be making/receiving calls for now. I wanted to do a test on my battery drain. So I charged it to 100% at around 4am, went to sleep, and around 8 hour 30 min later it's at 80%. 20% battery drain without any use seems a little excessive? Usage shows 21 minutes, but I only used it for 2-3 minutes, and nothing running in background. I made an appointment at the Apple store, guess I have no choice but to exchange.
I don't think that usage is abnormal at all. You don't have to be talking on the phone for it to drain the battery. The phone is doing a lot of stuff in the background that you probably aren't aware of. Location Services, notifications, email (fetch or push) etc., etc., just to name a few.

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Well, I'm on my 4th iPhone now lol. I explained everything to the Genius, he said the reason I couldn't make/receive calls was because sometimes the iPhone can get low on memory. I really don't understand that part, doesn't really make any sense. IMO I think it was a internal antenna problem. He also had no explanation for the 12GB data usage.

Since the iPhone was working when I was there, he wasn't going to replace it. Then I showed him the battery drain pic, he said it shouldn't be doing that, and offered a replacement.

He randomly told me not to turn off/ restart the iPhone by using the sleep button + home button method, as it doesn't clear the background apps or anything. Said it's like pulling the power cord out of your computer when it's on. :confused:

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
I don't think that usage is abnormal at all. You don't have to be talking on the phone for it to drain the battery. The phone is doing a lot of stuff in the background that you probably aren't aware of. Location Services, notifications, email (fetch or push) etc., etc., just to name a few.

I had no apps running in the background, location services off, bluetooth off, all notifications off for apps, except 1 email account using push and WiFi. On average I usually notice around 6-8% loss overnight. Just the past couple of days, it's been draining fast. Anyways the Genius thought it was abnormal.

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Dammit after a couple of days, my iPhone is not making/receiving calls again! This definately seems like a Verizon problem :mad:.

I also think this problem starts on Saturday, happened last sat, replaced iphone, now again it's saturday and I'm having this problem again- could also just be co-incidence. And btw, verizon customer service never contacted me again like they said they would... Very frustrated right now.

Made some YouTube videos to make it easier for you guys to see what's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGcB6uH0Ax8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCnJc4e_DAQ

Last edited:

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Have you tried turning off Wi-fi before making a call?

Yeah, WiFi on or off didn't make a difference.

I really really don't understand why only my phone has this problem, while the other 4 Verizon phones in the house work perfectly. I've tried almost all of them side by side- exact same location. They all work except mine, which makes me believe it's an iPhone problem again. But then again I got my iPhone replaced, and the problem came back.

My brother's iPhone and mine side by side (both Verizon) with the same results.

My brother's iPhone calling mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWvZN90_adk

My iPhone calling my brother's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZFS5iiNrus

After all that I've done, what should I do now?

Last edited:

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
You really need to use software that combines videos...

Restore your phone on your brother's computer as a backup of his current phone. See what that does.

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
I am not going to restore the iPhone this time, so the Apple genius can run a diagnostic on it. Last time I restored on my own before taking it in, and he said he couldn't run a diag because I did it.

The battery has suddenly started to drain FAST and the data usage is ridiculously high (just like the last iPhone, but this time it's more severe). This just happened tonight.

Guess I'm going to the damn Apple Store again later today or tomorrow... Good thing ZAGG has lifetime warranty, will be the 5th time using warranty replacement lol.

UsageStats.png

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
So I ended up exchanging that iPhone for another. The replacement did the same for almost a week. I just stopped caring after that and gave up. One week later it works good anywhere! It's been working great for about 2 weeks now :). Never got the crazy data usage either.

Hans Brix

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Well that's a whole lot of trouble just to use an iPhone. Not sure if I could have put up with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.