Cannot mount Google Earth 4 DMG - codec overrun

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dr_Maybe, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

I cannot mount the Google Earth 4 DMG from googles' site on my MBP. When opening the DMG file in Finder i get "codec overrun". I have the same problem with a MySQL package.

I had success with Google Earth 3 and other DMGs.

Those were smaller than the ones that don't work - maybe that has something to do with it?

I've tried re-downloading several times. Wierdness.

When downloading the MySQL DMG on my powerbook g4, it works fine. The powerbook also seems to download it alot faster. Maybe it's because my MBP is still starving with just the stock 512MB RAM. I really need to upgrade the RAM...

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

A codec overrun means that your DMG is only partially downloaded or otherwise corrupted.

You could try a different browser for the download, or maybe you could download with the other machine and copy the DMG over, to see if those help.

3. Dr_Maybe thread starter macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

You're right. I checked the md5 checksum on both computers and they differed. So I copied it using a USB flash drive from pbook to mbp. Now the checksums were the same. And it works!

But both downloading from browser and transfering files from pbook to mbp using ichat bonjour apparently corrupts the files! I don't remember downloading corrupt files from the web latetely. I wonder what the problem is.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It kind of smells like a piece of bad networking hardware somewhere in the loop. If the problem is intermittent, you're going to have a lot of (not) fun tracking it down. :eek: