Cannot mount InstallESD.dmg of ML on a Leopard MBA!

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Crisis, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Crisis macrumors member

Jul 19, 2012
    I bought a new rMBP last month and received a redeem code for Mountain Lion. Now I am trying to upgrade my Late-2009 MBA, which is still running a Leopard system. However, I copied the InstallESD.dmg from the installation package to this Leopard machine and it cannot be mounted, not to say restoring it to a flash disk.

Is it because the system is to obsolete that cannot read newly released dmg files? This mba is in my another house and I didn't bring my new rMBP here. so the InstallESD.dmg and a Leopard machine is all I have here, please please give me some advice!
  2. iVoid macrumors 65816

Jan 9, 2007
    Have you tried copying the entire "Install Mountain Lion" app to the SL machine?
  3. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    You can't upgrade a Mac with Leopard to Mountain Lion.
  4. Crisis thread starter macrumors member

Jul 19, 2012
    No, clearly it cannot run on a Leopard so I copied the InstallESD.dmg inside it.

I know, I guess Apple means the Install Mountain Lion app runs only on SL and Lion. That for upgrading, but what I am trying to do here is creating a bootable installation disk and wipe my HD drive and make a clean install.
  5. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2008
    Try restoring it to a flash drive through Disk Utility without mounting it first