Cannot open the printer

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Albone, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Albone macrumors regular

I got a G5 running 10.3.3 and for some reason, in classic, I can't print out of Quark 4 or 5. Does anyone know how I can get my computer to print?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Have you installed the proper print driver in Classic? I don't think OS X will intercept print commands, the way it routes network traffic. You have to install the driver and use the Chooser (in the Apple menu, when in classic) to select the printer...

paul

3. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

I installed the PPD's in my printer descriptions folder in System 9, extensions. I went to the chooser and set up the printers.

No dice.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Do other Classic apps print fine? If they do, then the problem is with Quark, not your printer driver. Do you get a specific error message when you try to print from Quark, or do you click Print and nothing ever prints? One possible cause could be that Quark is sending the file to your printer just fine, but your printer doesn't know how to print it. To test this possibility, try to print the document as an image (I don't know how to do this or if it's possible since I've never used Quark).

5. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

Well, the only apps I have in classic that print are Quarks 4 and 5.

When I hit control+p, I get an error message, saying it "Cannot Open the Printer {64}

Its getting to be a drag.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Test something that comes with Classic, like SimpleText. If that prints, you know that the problem's with Quark. If it doesn't print, or you get the same error message, you'll know that Classic isn't recognizing the printer driver.

7. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhhh, I do have Simpletext and it would not print. Not quite like the Quarks; Simpletext told me that a printer wasn't selected. I went to Chooser (and the drop down menu didn't engage) and I picked 3 different printers, three different times with no success.

So by that, we can figure that its classic's fault. Any ideas why though?

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Have you restarted the Classic environment since installing the printer driver? Sometimes, a restart is all that's needed to get Classic to recognize something. If that doesn't work, look for an installer for your printer and run that, then restart Classic and see if you can print.