Cannot send mail using gmail outgoing server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fusionstudios, Oct 29, 2006.

1. fusionstudios macrumors member

fusionstudios

I recently set up Mail to receive and send mail using my gmail account. It receives mail just fine, but the app will not allow me to send any messages! Any suggestions?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Some ISPs will only let you use their own SMTP servers. Try using the ISP you're connected to's SMTP server, whatever it is. :)

3. semicharmed macrumors regular

I'm able to send out email on the gmail account in mail; here's the outgoing mail server settings:

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.gmail.com
    Server Port: 587
    Use SSL: ON
    Authentication: Password
    Username: username@gmail.com
    Password: userpassword

You username and your password, obviously.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Some ISPs won't allow this SMTP server but instead insist that you use their own. :(

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

More and more of them. This is rapidly becoming a FAQ on MR....

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I was having issues before, so it could've just been one of those moments where it doesn't work.

8. semicharmed macrumors regular

Back at home the only mail server that won't work with Mail is my ISP's. I've never had a problem sending out gmail using the gmail server and once I changed a port, sending out emails with my school email.

And when I'm at school, its essentially the same setup. Only they're migrating to exchange but that's a whole other can of worms.

9. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

Yeah my ISP only allow use of their SMTP, they say it is to prevent outgoing SPAM... I don't quite follow their logic but that's the reason they gave me!

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's the thing. I can't see how it prevents SPAM. I guess it gives them the opportunity to monitor their traffic and lock down SPAM if it occurs, preventing them from being blocked by other ISPs... Maybe...

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if your ISP:
    1. disallows other SMTP values, and
    2. requires authentication

... then it means their servers cannot be used to send anonymous spam. of course, you could send spam, but they have your credentials.

i don't know why it's a big deal to not be able to do it. in Mail.app, for each of your email accounts, whatever they are, just set the SMTP value to what your ISP says you should use. you can still brand your emails by selecting the from address.