Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kralle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Denmark
Hello,

I have a problem with transfering files from my MacBook Pro to my external harddrive. I want to transfer my "Music"-folder to the external harddrive, but I get an error which says (translated from Danish to English):
"The action can not be completed, because you do not have permission to access some of the topics"

How can I transfer the files to my external?

Thanks in advance,
Kralle

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2010-02-17 kl. 16.22.29.png
    Skærmbillede 2010-02-17 kl. 16.22.29.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 122

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
How is the external drive formatted?

NTFS = Windows
HFS+ = Mac
FAT32 = Both

If it is NTFS, you can still use it, but you will need a 3rd party solution like NTFS-3G (you can Google to get it)

Check out the various file systems here: MR Guide: File Systems

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Hello,

I have a problem with transfering files from my MacBook Pro to my external harddrive. I want to transfer my "Music"-folder to the external harddrive, but I get an error which says (translated from Danish to English):
"The action can not be completed, because you do not have permission to access some of the topics"

How can I transfer the files to my external?

Thanks in advance,
Kralle

Not sure, but you may not be an administrator on the computer, or the external is Windows formatted and thusly read-only OS X side.

Kralle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Denmark
The external harddrive is formatted with NTFS, but the odd thing is that I can easily transfer other files - except for my Music-folder.

I'm the administrator on the computer.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
With NTFS to be able to write you need 3rd party application. MacDawg suggested NTFS-3G. I use this also and it has never failed.

Kralle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Denmark
I'll have a go with NTFS-3G.

I'm still surprised that I'm able to transfer other files to the external, but not that particular folder.

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
Are you moving a whole folder? If you're on Snow Leopard, then welcome to the club. I've experienced this myself, and have read about it on this and other fora. I'm hoping this gets fixed in 10.6.3.

Kralle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Denmark
Exactly makinao, I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm using Snow Leopard, and I'm moving the whole folder. I had to move all the subfolders with artists and albums for it to work. Moving the iTunes folder is impossible.

And NTFS-3G is not working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.