Cannot transfer files from MacBook to external harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kralle, Feb 17, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a problem with transfering files from my MacBook Pro to my external harddrive. I want to transfer my "Music"-folder to the external harddrive, but I get an error which says (translated from Danish to English):
    "The action can not be completed, because you do not have permission to access some of the topics"

How can I transfer the files to my external?

Thanks in advance,
    Kralle

Attached Files:

2. macrumors P6

MacDawg

How is the external drive formatted?

NTFS = Windows
    HFS+ = Mac
    FAT32 = Both

If it is NTFS, you can still use it, but you will need a 3rd party solution like NTFS-3G (you can Google to get it)

Check out the various file systems here: MR Guide: File Systems

3. macrumors 68000

Bacong

Not sure, but you may not be an administrator on the computer, or the external is Windows formatted and thusly read-only OS X side.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

The external harddrive is formatted with NTFS, but the odd thing is that I can easily transfer other files - except for my Music-folder.

I'm the administrator on the computer.

5. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

With NTFS to be able to write you need 3rd party application. MacDawg suggested NTFS-3G. I use this also and it has never failed.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have a go with NTFS-3G.

I'm still surprised that I'm able to transfer other files to the external, but not that particular folder.

7. macrumors regular

Are you moving a whole folder? If you're on Snow Leopard, then welcome to the club. I've experienced this myself, and have read about it on this and other fora. I'm hoping this gets fixed in 10.6.3.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly makinao, I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm using Snow Leopard, and I'm moving the whole folder. I had to move all the subfolders with artists and albums for it to work. Moving the iTunes folder is impossible.

And NTFS-3G is not working.