Cannot use Western Digital Passport Drive as a Startup Volume

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brownieking, Dec 26, 2006.

1. brownieking macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a Western Digital Passport 160gb external USB hard drive from Costco. I reformatted as Mac OS (Journaled) but the System Install DVD will not let me install Mac OS X on the drive. It says that the drive cannot be used as a startup volume. I need to use it for a maintenance drive so it must be able to be a startup volume. If not, I'll have to return it.

Any suggestions?

(Also still can't launch iLife applications on my internal drive - see my earlier post if you can help.)

Thanks!
    David

2. starfox101 macrumors newbie

not checking my facts to be sure, but I think you must have a firewire drive to boot. I have a wd 320 mybook, boots just fine.

3. brownieking thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a little searching and I think you're right. You need to use firewire to boot externally. I found a LaCie 160gb mobile drive with firewire 400 for $200 that I'm going to purchase. I have the 80gb version but didn't know they came out with the 160gb. It's a pretty slick drive. Super small and very portable.

Thanks!

4. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

The Intel Macs can boot off USB, but G5 and older need firewire (or SCSI if you go that far back).

5. Locolako macrumors newbie

I know this thread is a little dated but I had a quick question

Can you power the drive right off of usb?

I noticed you had to buy another cable or something for some computers and was just wondering if you had to do that?

I will be getting a macbook so I would like to know if the usb ports can do it

thank you