Cannot Verify or Repair Permissions: No Valid Packages?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mjhinnant, Oct 11, 2005.

1. mjhinnant macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am approaching the point where people jump from their roofs.

Okay, I had a hard drive failure and it took the only repair facility in town 3 damn weeks to get my MAC back to me.

The new drive now allows the computer to operate but everything else is jacked. I had to sets of applications and libraries etc etc...So, maybe that is what is keeping the Acrobat and Illutrator from my Adobe CS from installing?

Or is it that when I tried to verify and repair my permissions in disk utility, it tells me error -9997 - no valid packages?

This is oviously the same installer that worked fine on this computer originally and the the loaner laptop. Now Acrobat will not open - says cannot install and must quit when opening, and Illustrator closes upon opening.

I have run apple hardware test, tech tool deluxe, and what could from disk utility. All say fine except for the above mentioned error -9997.

I CLEANED the drive of every adobe preference, file, list and log and reinstalled to no avail.

What can I do?!

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

make sure that /Library/Receipts is there and isn't misspelled

3. Bear macrumors G3

And that it actually has files in it.

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yeah that too, it would suck if there was nothing in there.

I once renamed it some how and couldn't repair permissions for 2 months till i realized what i did

5. mjhinnant thread starter macrumors newbie

And what if the folder is missing or empty?

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

spotlight for the folder if it is missing.

if it is totally gone uh-oh

7. mjhinnant thread starter macrumors newbie

Its there, and there.

See, I have 2 libraries. one called library.old and one called library. The library folder contains a fraction of of what library,old does but some files do overlap. Each has a receipts folder with the library.old containing much more.

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

why do you have two libraries?

you could try and move over the reciepts folder in the old on to the new one (move the one in the new library don't delete it or overwrite it)

9. mjhinnant thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, my real answer is because Colorado Springs only has one MAC repair facility and they apparently aren't worth their storefront space.

But really, I have no idea. When I got this back, I had 2 of every folder in my main drive. I have been carefully trying to decipher whats can and cannot go.

I really appreciate your conversation on this.