Canon A70 as a Webcam

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by markinmontreal, Apr 1, 2004.

1. markinmontreal macrumors newbie

Apr 1, 2004
    Has anyone been able to use their A70 Powershot as a webcam?

I am thinking of buying a webcam but do not want to bother if it is possible to set up my camera as a web cam.

p.s. - the A70 is a USB camera.
  2. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    not sure abou usb but my firewire samsung all you have to do is launch ichat a/v plug it in and click the little camera button :D
  3. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Canon A70 3.2 mp with sound - problem: it's USB not FW

That's odd, I just spent the day with my buddy Glenn here in Phoenix AZ. downloading pictures off his CompactFlash card via the A70's USB cable into iPhoto, etc. and discussing the A70's capabilities...none of which includes using it as a webcam.

Of all the digital still cameras, it is one of the few that has a built-in Microphone.
    The reasons why I believe that you CANNOT use it as a webcam are:

1. A70 only has a USB connector, and iChatAV is not designed to recognize a USB camera, except for possibly a USB microphone. Try it.

2. As I pointed out to Glenn, you either buy and use a power converter otherwise turning your camera ON and using it as a webcam / camcorder will eat up your 4 AA batteries fast.

3. You know that little switch that determines whether it is a Camera for taking pictures, or a Hard Drive and recognized source for downloading photos taken, how are you going to use it as a web "camera" if your Mac won't recognize it as an import source via USB cable unless you SHUT OFF THE CAMERA FUNCTION and select Player/ Memory source? You cannot do both at the same time, and camera mode does not utilize the USB cable.

4. If you could overcome the camera/storage file source and make your Mac think of the A70 as camcorder, how are you going to get iChatAV to recognize a NON-FIREWIRE source that is NOT a CAMCORDER?

5. Phone access speed is insufficient for video, so do you have broadband cable?

6. Before I got the totally cute and compact iSight, I successfully used my Canon ZR70 as a webcam, because
    a. It is a movie camcorder designed for movement not still photography.
    b. It has a sophisticated stereo microphone comparable to the iSight
    c. It has a FireWire connection (cable costs extra; grrrr!)
    d. Using (tying up your capital in) a $700 camcorder is insane on a regular basis since tying up your money in a camcorder instead of a superbly designed $149 webcame is irrational.

7. That's why I forked over the $149 plus tax at the Apple store, and I am very glad I did.

Bottom line, we are so lucky Apple has priced their exquisitely designed iSight at only $150, so go get one and don't waste either time or money on trying to make the A70 work.
  4. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    This guy (last post) says he does with a PC

Canon though are a bit leary about it

And these guys have some stuff to do it

Haven't done this myself so can't tell you if its any good.