Canon AE-1 Macro Lens...FD mount...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sdashiki, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Anyone have any good suggestions for a 1:1 macro lens?

Needs to fit the "old" Canon FD mount for my "old" AE-1

Sick of using my zoom lens with the "macro feature", just doesnt get close enough and when used with diopter screw ons, the depth of field and detail goes straight to hell.

Any other suggestions for what to look for?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

DOF is totally a function of the f-stop and the foal lenght and would remain the same even if you bought a true macro lens and used it at the same f-stop. You may be correct about the detail. True macro lenses are typically very sharp and the old zooms were never that good

One thing: The Canon brand diopters are very good (as diopters go)

It seems almost a no-brainer to pick up used a true macro. I notice they sell for about $100 on the used market. www.keh.com has both the 50mm and 100mm. KEH is not the cheapest place but they have "everything" and are fair and honest. Just be sure and buy either the "ex" or "ex+" grade. This is the best thing about either Canon FD mount or Nikon manual focus cameras. You can find really first class lenses for cheap now.

Select either 50mm or 100mm based on desired front element to subject distance. The 100mm lens allows more space for things like lighting but 50mm will have different DOF and reduced effect of camera chake. I'
    d go with the 100mm