Canon Digital camera

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bumfilter, Jan 9, 2005.

1. bumfilter macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2004
    Hi there,

hoping someone can help before I throw myself into a wall.

I have a Canon Ixus 40 (known as SD300 in the US I think) and the software that came with it sucks. I bought it because it was touted as being Mac OS X compatible etc etc. Well it isn't.

Basically I can view my images in ImageBrowser but if I try to download them I get the descriptive and helpful "Error saving image".

So, as this software is the only way I know of getting images of the camera, I have a camera that is practically useless.

I've emailed Canon but it took them a week to say:

"Have you got the USB cable plugged in", or something similar.

I'm not a complete idiot, so yes, it is plugged in, I can view the images, just not download them.

So, finally, the point of my post. Is there anyway I can get images of this camera? My old Fuji mounted as a volume when plugged in. Wayyy simpler. Can I force something like that to happen? I think iPhoto may help but I have no idea if it can handle audio/movie files.

Any help appreciated, before I kill myself.

2. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2004
    Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
    Have you tried iphoto? It basically recognized all the camera I plugged into my mac.
  3. bumfilter thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2004
    I don't have it installed, so I'll either have to buy it or blag a PowerBook DVD of someone (I lost mine).

Can it handle the video or audio on the camera though?
  4. Gee macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeh, open up iPhoto, plug in your camera, switch it on, and hit import. For importing movies and such, you can either use Image Capture, or the memory card should appear as a drive on your desktop and you can drag the movies off (assuming you have this view option checked in finder preferences).
  5. Gee macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2004
    London, UK
  6. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2004
    You don't have iPhoto? As Gee said use image capture. The Canon software is pretty good though. What OS are you using?
  7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Anything that iPhoto can read from Image Capture (in your Utilities folder) can read from too. I have an Canon camera and the software (same stuff) really does suck. iPhoto is great though. Use Image Capture to check that it can read from the camera before putting yourself out to get iPhoto.
  8. bumfilter thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2004
    iPhoto does come installed but after about a year of not using it, when I re-installed everything, I chose not to install it, or iDVD etc. Wish I hadn't now.

The camera doesn't appear as a volume when plugged in, although I wish it would (just like my Fuji did).

However, ImageCapture worked a bloody treat!

Thank you for saving me from insanity. I was very close to crying and that's not something I do often, except for when those disaster reality tv shows are on. Yes, I am a man. So, thanks very much everyone!
  9. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    London, England
    I use a USB card reader i find it it a lot easier than messing about with cables.
  10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Nver had a problem with a direct connect on 10.3.7 or going through my Epson CX6400 and its card reader.
  11. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Yup. I think that a card reader is the more elegant and foolproof way to go. That way you don't depelete your camera's battery, or need to hook it up to an AC outlet and your computer etc.
  12. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    Make sure you have the latest version of ImageBrowser ... 5.0.1, I think ... this latest update brings it still closer to iPhoto, and it even has a few features I appreciate that iPhoto doesn't. Works fine with my PowerShot S400 / IXUS 400.

All the latest Canon software is downloadable from their website. You can go to your product page and click the link for "support," or go to the support page and follow the prompts for your model. While there also check for firmware updates.

Also, I had to deal with Canon support once for a printer issue, and the people on the phone seemed more knowledgeable than whoever answers the emails, for what it's worth.