Canon Digital Rebel XT/350D Announced.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jared_kipe, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

2. pigbat macrumors regular

I've been waiting for this. Now do I go for it or get a regular Rebel at a great price?

3. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I'd go for the 350D, but I tell you what, if you want to buy my 300D for a great price, I'd be willing to see that too.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

O-key. Canon releases an improved version of their low-end DSLR. Great news for Canon fans. But I don't see the "nail in Nikon's coffin" part of this. Like Nikon's not going to do the same thing in a few months and leapfrog this camera, much like the D70 did to the original Digital Rebel? And at that point, one of the Nikon fanboys isn't going to post "If this isn't the nail in Canon's coffin, I don't know what is."? :D

5. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I really don't see why people love to compare the D70 to the rebel, by saying the D70 was such a superior camera. It really wasn't. This new camera makes the D70 look pretty silly at its price point. And nikon will not be "leapfrogging" this camera anytime soon. The D70 is built from the D100, just as the 10D/300D and 20D/350D. But Nikon does not have a successor to the D100, so it would be ridiculous to release a consumer camera when they have no pro version on the market. And if you are thinking about the D2X, that camera costs $5000, and would be better compared to the EOS-1Ds Mark II. Now is Nikon making a new camera somewhere? Yes probably, but will it be as good at this price point? Doubtful.

6. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

What do you see the street price for the XT and the regular being with this release? XT $899 or so? Rebel $599?

7. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

this is priced at €899 (euros) which is just over £600GBP surely thats wont happen? 8 mega pixel DSLR for 600 quid?

EDIT: if you do it $999USD it comes our at just over £500 quid :eek:

8. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Are you serious? The D70 trounced both the Drebel and the 10d, and in a lot of ways the 20d. Faster flash sync, killer buffer, fast like a bunny AF, better metering. Etc.

That said, there's supposedly an 8-10mp D200 on the way with f6 build that will demolish the 20d, even if it's priced at $2000. That and there's a D70s on the way, with 6mp but doing 5fps.

And the D2x can fend off both the 1dmkII and the 1dsmkII.

lastly, the D70 IS NOT built from the D100. Quit spreading misinformation! haha. The d70 is a completely new design that has more in common with the D2h than the D100!

Sounds to me like you're probably more interested in MP than taking pics.... sorry to say.

Let's also not forget that a lot of reports are going around about bad back focusing in the 20d, as well as a REAL fps shooting time of 4.23 FPS. That's not the 5 that's advertised. So Canon's not really 100% at this point. ;)

m

9. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

from a consumer's point of view this is great news. now canon and nikon are in a great competition to create a camera around the 1500 CAD mark (do conversion to your currency). the feature sets are improving, the quality of the build and finish. makes for great new cameras in the future.

as for it beating the current d70, read any magazine or stats about the d70 it's the top of it's class for speed, cost, colour balance, features and user feedback.

arguing about which is better is a bit of a wank - it's a mac vs. pc argument that no one is going to win. some people like the canon build and cameras, others like nikon their build, lenses, etc.

the good thing is neither manufacturer is going to let technology go stagnant.

10. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

What are you talking about quoting from dpreview.com "The D70 is revealed by Nikon exactly two years since the D100, the D70 appears to share quite a lot with its sibling including a six megapixel CCD sensor and Multi-CAM900 auto focus system." It makes no mention on the design being based on the D2H. Also quoting from their review's conclusion, "...in some instances better from an image quality point of view." I'm not the one here who doesn't like taking pictures, you are apparently just going to sit there and and tell us that the D70 is so much better than any other camera, and expect us to take that on faith? Have you actually seen the difference in noise between the D100/D70's CMOS and the 10D/300D's CMOS? Not to mention the 20D's low noise CMOS, and quoting from the 20D review's conclusion "Stack that up with the new eight megapixel CMOS sensor and continuing low noise performance across the sensitivity range and the EOS 20D maintains Canon's edge over other manufacturers in this prosumer / semi-professional digital SLR market." If the 350D is anything like its big brother, then it is going to be one hell of a camera for $100 less than the D70!!

Oh, and as for the price point, dpreview says that the 350D will be priced at 899USD body 999USD kit lens. And I think it said the 300D would drop to 699USD body and 799USD kit lens.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I have to agree that this looks good for us consumers. I'm very excited about the idea of buying a digital SLR once I'm done with grad school and gainfully employed. It will still be a while, but I definitely want to replace my aging, 2megapixel Olympus with a real camera.

As for the Nikon-Canon debate, I've always preferred Nikons, but these Canons are looking better and better. And I have to be realistic about how good a camera I "deserve."

12. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

You obviously don't understand that competition is good for consumers. The better a Canon camera is, the better the next generation of Nikons will be, and vice versa. The consumer wins.

Just look at ATI vs nVidia, MS IE vs Firefox, Bill Gates vs Steve Jobs - oops scratch that last one - but I think you get the picture ;)

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

This clearly isn't Nikon's day, its Canon's. One could quibble over the D70's noisy CMOS or underexposure issues, but you chose your camera because of what you wanted at the time. So don't come in here and say how the current canon line is going to be beat up by the super nikon's of the future. Cause today, that isn't happening.

no one likes a fan boy, you bought the camera which you thought was best at the time (underexposure issues aside) one day apple will suck and some other computer company will come up with an even more likable gui than os x, until that day i'll use a mac but i wont be closed to alternatives,if people were closed to alternatives most people will still be using a command line on desktops, it's called healthy competition it's the basis of capitalism, sticking to one brand through thick and thin is counter to this system, canon has the limelight because it's come out with a kick ass camera, heck maybe one day even casio may be the SLR king, branding means nothing if a product costs more and is insuperior to another.

when the competition is loosing it deserves to take second place, i think what jared is getting at is that this puts the nail in the coffin of the SLR king status, it wont put them down forever.

14. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

First off, let's think: D70, usable buffer. influenced by D2h. iTTL flash, which kicks ANY other flash system? Influenced by D2h. Body design? More n75 there. Metering system? Based off D2h.

Secondly, this noise crap on the canon's have to stop. It's noiseless at the sake of image sharpness. Believe me, i've had a d60, 10d, 1d and 1ds in my hands and the noise performance is ok, but the images are soft and mushy. Haha. Secondly, i've seen similar noise levels in both's shots. it's all about the exposure. I bet you I can out de-noise your canon at ISO 1600 in a heartbeat. :) Put the tool in the right hands... but it doesn't change the fact that Canon uses a lot of in camera processing on their images. I personally don't want the computer inside to do the work for me. If i did, i'd buy a Powershot.

That said the canon bodies are nice, and apples for apples, the images are comparable. Even the 8mp 20d and 1d MK II vs the D2h at 4mp. There's not much difference really. You can shoot greytag-macbeth charts all day. When you get in the real world, it's neck and neck for image quality. Either you like the plastic processed and digital canon look or the filmlike nikon look. You pick. They're both usable.

You sound like a true canon troll. But in any case, if you wanna talk pictures for pictures, post some of yours, mr. hotshot. And i'll post mine. And we'll see who's the bigger photo man on campus. Ok?

Bring it.

m

15. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

FYI, D70 doesn't underexpose. It holds down exposure to save highlights. This has been discussed ad infinitum. Also, it uses a CCD and not a CMOS. Get your facst straight. Lastly, I bought a D2h and a D100. Don't even own a d70.

I could care less who has more MP and whatnot. It's image quality, and nIkon is, IMHO better there than canon, with a more accurate AF, more robust flash system, nicer exposure meter (i like my highlights, thanks) and better feel.

So let's not say Canon is beating up NIkon now. Sure it has an 8mp plastic camera, and one that compares to the D70, but it's not that big of a gap. the 2mp difference really isn't that much of an increase in resolution. Now get into 12 or 16 (D2x or 1dsmkII) and we're talking an increase. :) That said, Nikon has no nail in its coffin. This is just another example of how the DSLR market flip flops.

NIkon D1? King
    Canon D30? King
    Nikon D100? King
    Canon 1d? King
    Nikon D1x? King?
    Canon 10d? King.
    Nikon D2h? Prince. ;) haha.
    Canon 1dmkII? King
    Nikon D2x? King
    Canon 1dsmkII? King

I mean, it's been a flip flop since day one.

m

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

a blind man can see it under exposes, post a picture taken with one and ask the mac rumors public, we all know what happened last time :rolleyes:

17. kbonnel macrumors 6502

My advise is to look at lenses first. Pick the company that has the lenses you like/need/want, and then look at bodies. SLR bodies come and go, but good glass will stick around.

Kimo
    A camera owner :)

18. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Agreed, I shot these the first week I had my Canon 300D with the stock 18-55mm kit lens. I believe they were all shot at 55mm. I would expect better results out of my new 28-105mm 3.5-4.5. I also had to scale them quite a bit to get them to upload.

Attached Files:

19. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

20. akboarder24 macrumors member

The CMOS is found in Canon bodies, Nikon's have CCD's in them.(<--- correct me if I'm wrong on that!) big difference there! A CMOS sensor is a 'fairly' newer technology that is just getting rolling and has a lot going for it, CCD technology is working closer to it's limitations, just the physical aspects of it are hurting image quality potential! when Nikon changes to a newer sensor technology, I really believe that it will then give Canon a run for their money!
    And this is great for consumers! I'm a current 300D user, will be upgrading to the XT when I sell the 300d. It's been a great camera, though, it's only a tool I've enjoyed it, it's helped me in my photography. That said, I wish I would have had the finances to go the Nikon route, and maybe I will one day, I feel more comfortable with Nikon equipment, and like their business practices better! (Canon's crippling of the 300D pisses me off and will forever!)

Ryan

21. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

But you notice that canon didn't lock the firmware in the 350D ;) ;)

22. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Great shots, but the focus seems slightly *soft*, especially on the flowers.

Maybe it's just your settings, because I've seen the Canon deliver a lot sharper than these over on www.photo.net

If I can find the specific ones that I have in mind, I'll post the links.

23. akboarder24 macrumors member

haha, definitely, and along with that I initially thought the 8.0 mp sensor was just a crippled 20D sensor, but upon learning more it's just a teeny bit smaller sensor. I wonder why Canon did that? Probably to keep the most important aspect of the 20D ahead of the XT, MP's! If I was a 20d owner, I'd be kind of mad, they really let it go for the XT!

24. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Can I point out something here?

All people here who LOVE the D70 probably already have an entire set of Nikon lenses. In fact, those lenses may already have been purchased before the D70 even came out.

Similarly, all people who LOVE the 300d already have an entire set of Canon lenses.

This means that EVERY time a new Canon comes out, the Canon lovers are going to swoon over the new development. They're STUCK using Canon, and so they'll see Canon in a rosy light.

Nikon users will do the same. I don't care if you've "used" both systems before deciding on the one you currently own and are an expert with. You've decided on one system, and you're now biased. When the other camp releases a new body, you can't use it because you already own thousands of dollars worth of lenses for your own system. You decided which system was better before the new camera even came out.

Original poster, take every post in here with a grain of salt before you make your purchase decision. Yes, I'm stating the obvious. By the way, I own a 300d. And the 350d will rock the socks off of the D70. :)

25. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Ha I didn't notice that they made it smaller, I did see that they said that they found a way to bring the noise down.

As for the softnes on my pictures, they might be either slightly out of focus because I think they were all manual focus on the macro side of things, so me moving just a little would mess up the focus. It might be slight motion blur too. But I never inteded them to be critiqued. Actually the one of the tree blossoms was simply to prove a point to my mom who didn't believe that there were some trees on the University of Washington campus in November/December were blooming. So I took a picture of them. If I had really wanted to keep that picture I probably would have pinched off the dead blossom ;)

EDIT: When I bought my Canon I didn't have any canon lenses, and a minolta dslr (crappy and with a crappy lens, but I would have loved a minolta 7D). Ultimatly I decided on the Canon because I thought it was a superior product for the money. Not to mention the fact that I didn't have any lenses so I needed the cheap kit lens that the nikon didn't offer. Even though I don't like the size of the nikon, if I had felt that it was a superior camera to the point where I would be willing to pay somewhere near $400 more (I got it with the kit lens for $700 and the D70 was either $900 or $1000 without a lens) then I would have gotten the D70.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.