Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jordan6

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2006
I have the camera stated above, love it, good quality photos, when i view on screen they look perfect no problems at all, but when i print them they come DARK, i've noticed it on my home printer and at one of the FedexKinkos Sony picture station things, and i usually get GOOD prints from both

I just got the camera and im still working out lil details of it as we speak, learning certain techniques

Is there ANY IDEA as to why this is happening AND also are they any lenses you guys recommend

Thanks and ANY and ALL reviews, advice, etc is NEEDED:p :D

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Jordan6 said:
I have the camera stated above, love it, good quality photos, when i view on screen they look perfect no problems at all, but when i print them they come DARK, i've noticed it on my home printer and at one of the FedexKinkos Sony picture station things, and i usually get GOOD prints from both

I just got the camera and im still working out lil details of it as we speak, learning certain techniques

Is there ANY IDEA as to why this is happening AND also are they any lenses you guys recommend

Is your monitor calibrated? If not, I would suggest getting a monitor calibration device as that is probably the cause of the probelm. Monaco makes a good unit.

Lens recommendations? What do you want specifically? Otherwise...

50mm of some sort
17-40 f/4L
70-200 f/2.8L IS
400 f/2.8L IS :D

mromero

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2005
Los Angeles
Jordan6 said:

Do get something like the Spyder2Pro
http://www.colorvision.com/profis/profis_view.jsp?id=602

As far as lenses, it depends on what you intend to shoot, but 2 good one's I recommend are

Canon 17-40L F/4

and

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
Lens recommendations?

If you wanna spend some serious cash you must have:

1. Canon 17-40 f/4L (landscapes)
2. Canon70-200 f/4L (wildlife)
3. Canon 24-70 f/2.8L (all around lens, portraits)

Cheaper lenses you might want to look into are the:

1. Canon 28-135 IS
2. Sigma 10-22 f/4 (ultrawide angle lens)
3. Canon 50mm f/1.8 (Very low cost, but sharp as a tack) Nifty Fifty

Jordan6

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2006
beavo451 said:
Is your monitor calibrated? If not, I would suggest getting a monitor calibration device as that is probably the cause of the probelm. Monaco makes a good unit.

Lens recommendations? What do you want specifically? Otherwise...

50mm of some sort
17-40 f/4L
70-200 f/2.8L IS

any reason as to why u think the monitor needs to be callibrated
Because they look perfect on screen its just when i print them

Thanks for the all the lens recommendation's

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Jordan6 said:
any reason as to why u think the monitor needs to be callibrated
Because they look perfect on screen its just when i print them

Thanks for the all the lens recommendation's

Because all monitors vary in color and brightness. Calibration makes them comparable and close to the printing results. I had a monitor that made photos look fine, but on every other monitor, the same image would be completely over exposed. Calibration fixed the problem. So if the problem is monitor calibration, the images will appear dark as well after calibration.

Jordan6

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2006
beavo451 said:
Because all monitors vary in color and brightness. Calibration makes them comparable and close to the printing results. I had a monitor that made photos look fine, but on every other monitor, the same image would be completely over exposed. Calibration fixed the problem. So if the problem is monitor calibration, the images will appear dark as well after calibration.

oh ok, weird cause they look all good on any monitor i view them on, i check into that

is there any other like details, secrets, etc that i should check out

I just got the camera, and im anxious:D :) :D

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
beavo451 said:
Feel free to throw the money to buy that lens my way. :D (No, I won't buy it, even if you give me the money -- the cash'll go on a nice Mac Pro and a 30" LCD, as well as a copy of Aperture. :D The balance goes on my mortgage. :p)

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
cgratti said:
Lens recommendations?

If you wanna spend some serious cash you must have:

1. Canon 17-40 f/4L (landscapes)
2. Canon70-200 f/4L (wildlife)
3. Canon 24-70 f/2.8L (all around lens, portraits)

Cheaper lenses you might want to look into are the:

1. Canon 28-135 IS
2. Sigma 10-22 f/4 (ultrawide angle lens)
3. Canon 50mm f/1.8 (Very low cost, but sharp as a tack) Nifty Fifty
I am also in the market for the wide angle lens. Is Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L wide enough to cover the good wide coverage? I think it won't be as wide as Sigma 10-22mm (because of the focal length, appearantly).

There is another wide lens, Canon EF 17-35mm f/2.8 USM L, which is more expensive than EF 17-40mm f/4 L.

So many choices of lens....

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Fertile, MN
Aside from color calibration.

For optimal printing, it is recommended to use paper designed for your printer as well as ink. Also, buy a few different samples of paper to see which ones look best when printed from your printer. If you use generic ink, perform the same tests as well.

I own a Canon i960 and have tested different types of paper to see how my photos appear on each one. Epson Glossy paper actually gives the best color results to my astonishment.

Also, most printers have ICC profiles which cater to specific paper types. When you are ready to print using Adobe Photoshop, there should be some ICC profiles that came with your printer for use in printing. Some companies have ICC profiles that are downloadable from their websites. ICC profiles are great for performing Soft Proofing. Soft Proofing lets you preview how the image may look on specific paper types before you actually print. If there are no ICC profiles available, just select the default printing/paper options that came with your printer.

Good luck!

Edit:

After calibration I find that all of my prints look pretty darn close to the printer version!

If you want to save money,

Google for a Huey Pantone color calibrator. At 70 bucks, it is a steal. I use the professional Eye One from Gretag MacBeth. I upgraded after buying a Huey. I just wanted something with a few more fine-tuning features.

The Huey gives good calibration at an affordable price with enough features for general-intermediate printing.

Jordan6

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Zeke said:
Your question was answered. The problem isn't your camera.

:confused: :confused:

Like I said, is there any secrets, or words of advice, shooting tips anybody can help with 20D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.