Canon G12 vs G15

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JoeRito, Dec 13, 2012.

1. JoeRito
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

JoeRito

Still loving my Powershot G12... anyone moving to the G1X or G15? Can you share your reasoning? Tx:apple:

2. charlieegan3
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

15=1.25*12 = 25% better :)

(if only it were that simple)

This might be of interest.

Attached Files:

3. Keenupie
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

I'm using the Powershot G11, still on the fence if I should love to G15, Honestly not able to decide due to the Articulated Screen which I have started to get used to esp. when I want to take pictures at a odd angle etc.

Not to confuse you more but also check the Sony DSC-RX100, which is again the front runner for me between the G15 and RX100, but just not sure if I can shoot as good without the Articulated screen.

Regards,

Thanks for that comparison, never used it need to try the G15 vs RX-100 now,

4. Larry-K
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

It just depends on your priorities. I wanted the fastest focusing I could get and the faster long-end f stop of the G15. I always make a mental note when I miss a shot, and then see if anything better is available in those areas when newer models come out.

Would have liked the articulated screen, but I like the pocketability of the G15 too.

Maybe the G16 next year? these things arrive as frequently as trains it seems.

Next thing I want is a bigger sensor, I would have picked up the Canon G1-X (or is it G1-X), but slow focus, slow long-end, and it's a little big. Big cameras I got.

5. Keenupie
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Hello Larry,

Portability + Big Sensor is why the Sony DSC-RX100 is really amazing, but again is a little slow, And no articulated screen.

G1-X like you said is way too bulky, keeping it's other flaws aside,

6. Larry-K
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Believe me, everyday I have to keep myself from pulling the trigger on the Sony.

Since I just got burned on the D600 (hated missing that deal), I figure that's where the money for the Sony went.

7. NZed
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

NZed

8. harleymhs
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I just purchased the G15 and took a road trip to Great Smokey Mountains.. The photos were Crisp, clean, colors were really on point and battery life was outstanding.. I took 700 photos with ONE charge! Insane! Very happy with my purchase! I had the G9 and G10 this 15 blows them away! Hope this helps!thought about the Sony but I coudnt justify spending the $$ on that with no zoom.. The photo quality on the G15 was really up to par and even looking at them on my 30" apple cinema display were crisp!

9. TheDrift-
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

I'm just biding my time to get one too, to compliment my DSLR, was hoping for a good sale deal after Christmas :)

10. Keenupie
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

If you do find some crazy good deal please do post here :)

I just wish I could blow more money, am in love with the RX-1 Even more, if only I could find some cash stuffed somewhere,

11. Larry-K
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

The battery is pretty good, I got around 675 before I yanked it and slapped the spare in, the low battery warning goes on for quite a while.

12. JoeRito
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502

JoeRito

I just find the articulating screen extremely helpful, its a big loss to me from the G12. Love the fast lense on the G15.... big G-series fan.:D

13. elppa
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

elppa

Trying to convince someone who has their mind set on Canon to consider Sony is a fruitless task. I've tried and failed before. The RX100 is the best compact camera of the year. It's that simple.

14. JoeRito
    Expand Collapse

JoeRito

Actually the Sony is significantly more expensive and has no articulating screen. Also, please note that this post asked for comparisons of the Canon products, so, yes, I hope for replies on the g-series.

15. elppa
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

elppa

I think that might vary from region to region. In the UK the RX100 is a bit cheaper than both the Canon options.

g1x - 539
    g15 - 499
    rx100 - 429

Anyhow, I take your point, this was a Canon thread. I wasn't the first person to bring up the RX series though.

16. JoeRito
    Expand Collapse

JoeRito

Understood... no problem. Yeah the g15 is 499 and the Sony 649 at B&H and most retailers.

17. danmanc
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I own a G12 and a G1X. G1X is certainly better but my G12 is more my throw around camera. I worry less about it. Both good picks but if money is no object, go with the G1X Mark II