Canon GL-2 or PowerMac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Wano, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

I really want a new camcorder....the GL@...and I have been thinking, that maybe I should wait to get my PowerMac untill they release the 970 or what ever the new procesor will be and get the GL2 with the money that I would use to get the Powermac, and then later get the Powermac....either way I will be getting both, but not at the same time cause I don't have the money. Any input or comments?

2. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

What are you presently using to shoot with? What are you using to process and edit?

3. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

well...right now i am using a panasonic pv-dv201 minidv camcorder...I have a kenko .5 wideangle, but since the threads on the camcorder are plastic, they stripped after about 6months of using the wideangle. as for computers, i am using a slow slow dell p4 933mhz with after effects and premiere.

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

The GL2 has held in value for sometime and while I'm not sure of Canon's short-term plans for the line, I can say that of the PowerMacintosh is much more likely to change. The GL2 will hold value, while the G4 system will only drop... get the GL2 now and save and wait until you can't any longer.. then wait another 3months and buy a ppc970 power macintosh. The dell p4 hurts, but the camera makes more sense. Just my $0.02... Good luck, I'm jealous of anyone soon to own a GL2... :)

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The GL2 just came out 6 or 7 months ago, I should hope it's held its value. ;)

Which do you think is currently holding you back more right now yer camera or yer computer?

Lethal

6. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I got a camcorder...but i would much rather have a GL2, but then again i have been waiting for a long time to get a mac...and i might have to wait even longer, like april/may to get it....but then what if the 970 or G5 is released in july/august. I am so confused...hehe.

7. uhzoomzip macrumors newbie

Wano - I sort of have the same predicament over choosing to blow a wad of cash on a new PowerMac setup to replace my aging AGP/Gigabit PM 400 - or purchase a nice DV camera (I want the Panasonic AG-DVX100).

I have decided to go with the PowerMac for a few reasons:

1. I'm in film school and have access to DV cameras

2. I can always rent DV cams

3. I can use the PowerMac to *make* money through freelance design projects

4. Useful for school, etc.

Now, at the same time, I'm looking for a consumer grade DV cam to purchase - not to use exclusively, but more for location scouting, practice/run-throughs, experimentation and recreation.

...true the cameras depreciate a lot slower than PCs do...if you have a big, important project to do - you could consider getting the camera, shoot everything you could possibly need - sell it and THEN get a Mac.

But for me...and I'm not sure where you live, but if you have access to cameras through schools, rental shops or even PBS affiliates - then those are always there for you. Access to a computer maybe a different story for you (or is it?)

And again - if you're a straight up camera/cinematographer than you'll need the camera. But if you have projects which you'll be doing the post for...I say throw the big guns into post.

But that's just me, my needs and my opinions - I thought maybe it would help with your decision....good luck.

kb.