Canon Gl2 and FCP3 help?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Wano, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

I just got my Canon GL2 and I tried to hook it up to FCP3 on my 17" PB through the firewire port, but FCP3 is not recognizing it. What do I need to do?

Thanks!

2. mislabeledstar macrumors regular

Make sure you have the most curent FCP3 updates. I had problems with my gl1 and fcp3 until i had the most recent updates. that solved the problems for me.

3. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

My computer doesn't recognize it at all, not even iMovie or the software that was provided with the GL2.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Is the GL-2 in VTR mode? Is your deck control set to"Firewire basic"? You'll also have better luck if you connect them camera and then open FCP.

If you are still having a problem then something is not working properly. I've captured from GL-1's and 2's w/FCP 3 w/o a problem on more than one occasion.

Lethal

5. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the help! I called canon and they said that it may be the firewire port on the gl2 or the cable i am using, so I went out and got another cable and it works fine now!

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

when i got my digital hi-8 cam like 4 years ago, it was one of the first firewire cameras.... the firewire cable that came with it, was flakey to say the least... i practically had to tape it in place to get it to stay in the port on the camera.

newer cables work better, so i don't think it was the port per se

my point is just that i'm surprised you'd have a problem with such a recent camera... and canon should also pay for the new cable (in theory). good that it's a relatively simple problem though. enjoy

7. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks! they did not supply a firewire cable, i had one that i used for my old camcorder, it was only about 2 ft. so it worked out fine cause now i have a 6 ft.

8. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i think this may not be the right camera for you. i'd be happy to take it off your hands, free of charge:D