Canon HV20 review

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hvfsl, Mar 14, 2007.

1. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

MM...since I figure you've looked at the feature sets of both of these cameras, does the HV20 offer any features that the HC7 lacks? Other that the LANC port issue, any other glaring omissions on either side?

I've got both of these cameras on my radar and have bookmarked the HC7 thread for later reading...unfortunately, I've promised myself not to buy anything until I hit 50% on this list...so I'm probably looking at a mid-summer purchase.

4. hvfsl thread starter macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well the HV20 looks like it has better image stabilisation and it might also be better than the HC7 when it comes to daylight filming (although we will need to wait for a side by side comparison before we can be sure).

On the other hand the Sony has a better user interface (touch screen) and has X.v colour (although it doesn't look like it makes much difference in the reviews I have seen).

I want to get a HD camcorder for when I go on holiday this summer, have narrowed it down to the following, but guess I need to wait for some more reviews to be sure which is best:
    JVC GZ-HD7 - Hard disk based, but using higher bitrate than HDV and uses the full HD resolution, plus it has 3CCDs
    Sony HC7
    Canon HV20

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Shocker.

I don't know much about it, but on paper the X.v color is suppose to be superior, but in everyday use who knows what the difference will be. You'll also need an HDTV that supports X.v color.

Things may change between now and summer time when you buy a camera, but currently that JVC isn't supported by any Mac apps (so you'd have to transcode the footage before you could edit with it) and I'm not a big fan of HDD based cameras because when it gets full you have to dump it to a computer (you can't just pop in another tape), and you have to figure out a way to back-up your footage. A bit too inconvenient, IMO.

Lethal

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Hey, quick question. I was looking at the specs for the Canon HV20 and I see it shoots in 1080/60i, 1080/24P, 1080/30F, 1080/24F. Can anyone explain to me what 30F and 24F means, and also, would I be able to convert 1080/60i to 1080/30P and 720/30P without quality loss, as well as convert the 1080/24P to 720/24P?

7. povlhp macrumors newbie

The 30F / 24F means that it will do full-frame progressive scan, and will store the 2 halves of the image in 2 consecutive frames on tape. So you have 1080/30p to work with in your applications. This is one thing the Sony does not have. Also, in movie mode on the Sony, you lose control of the camera (aperture etc). This is one of the major reasons that I have ordered the Canon instead of the Sony. Also, the better Canon picture quality is also important.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So if I end up getting an HDV camera in the next year, I'm definitely getting this one.

9. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

HV20 Will Make A Great HC7 Deck

We'll see. It remains to be seen how easily we'll be able to extract these new recorrding formulas. But without a LANC, you can't take it underwater and you can't drive it with a tripod handle zoom control. I find the missing LANC to be the main reason not to buy it as primary. But I plan to buy HV20 for use as my HC7's DECK. :)
    Yes. Sony can burst record for 3 seconds @120fps so it'll playback 12 seconds of slow motion. Canon Doesn't. Canon does 24P over 60i. Sony Doesn't. Those are the most glaring omissions on either side but the missing LANC on the Canon is beyond glaring, it's a downright DEAL BREAKER.

10. Pad18 macrumors member

with both the sony and canon would you be able to record a film with good enough quality (independent film status)?

and

i dont have a mbp yet so after storing it to the HDV discs how would i get it onto the mac?

11. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

The Sony doesnt record the 120fps at full quality so that is really a nonfeature.
    The fact that the Canon is missing a LANC is not really an issue for most people. Few people us their cameras with underwater housings etc. The different framerates that the Canon offers would be of more use to the average consumer.

12. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Folks, Canon cannot have LanC, because that's a Sony protocol!

Just pointing out the obvious.

13. Pad18 macrumors member

can someone plz answer my previous question =(

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Why do the GL2, XL2, and XH-A1 have LANC then?

The quality is decent, but if you really want to be a indie filmmaker, you probably want to be using something like a Canon XL2 (standard def), XL-H1 (High Def), Sony HDR-FX, or something. You want something with 3CCDs for really good image quality.

Also, HDV is a tape, not a disc. You will record to the tape, and then connect your camera or a vtr to your computer and "capture" your footage into the computer. You probably want to learn the basics of editing and stuff before you go out and buy a $1000+ camera though.

15. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

I think HD video is still way to expensive to get into right now. The cost of a Blu-Ray player for your tv, burner for your computer, and disks will make you a very poor person. I am waiting a year or so yet until the prices drop.

16. Pad18 macrumors member

Well those cameras are really expensive and i figured i get the canon bc i can play around with it and it would still look pretty decent and then with the video i capture or w/e you wanna call it ill use fcp to teach myself how to edit

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Just out of curiousity, how old are you?

FCP has a pretty difficult learning curve. Plus, learning how to edit doesn't mean you'll be able to make masterpieces. Editing is just one of the parts. Since you seem to be new at this, I'd recommend you take a class or two about video production. See if one of your local colleges has a video production department, and try to take a class in videography so you can learn the basics of shot composition, camera operation, lighting, etc. and a class on video editing so you can learn about editing. There's way more to this than just taking a camera and pointing it at things, then taking the clips and cutting them together.

Remember, a great filmmaker can take a piece of crap camera that you buy for $100 and make a better movie than a noob who buys a camera that costs $1200 like the hv20 or $5000+ like an XLH1 or something.

Also, remember that if you're serious about filmmaking, you can't just buy the camera. You need a tripod, lenses, microphones and other audio accessories, lighting, extra batteries, tapes, and the editing software which is $1300 alone. Even if you get the HV20 to make films, you'll be spending $1200 (camera) + ~$400+ (accessories) + $1300 (fcs) so you're up to 3 grand.

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Do you think Apple will ever update this in FCP or imovie. From the specs I really like that JVC cause it has a manual focus ring over the canon and sony...

19. Pad18 macrumors member

so what camera would u recommend?

20. GoGoSamGo macrumors member

Exactly my thoughts when I read his post. I started off in film luckly by taking a video production class in high school ( had the choice of taking wood shop or film and since I had taken wood shop in junior high I went with film). I never joined with the mindset of ever making this into my future career, but now I'm in College working towards mastering everything I can about post production. I didn't use Final Cut Pro until 2 years of being in film, I used iMovie, which at the time was pretty complicated itself, but now compared to Final Cut it makes it seem as if it were made for children. Now after 3 years of working with Final Cut Pro I can tell you, I still have soooooo much more to learn. I already know Final Cut pretty well, but I want to know it in and out. As Zioxide said, you could go ahead and purchase an expensive camera to try and become a filmmaker, but until you know what you're doing that camera isn't being put to good use. I'd take some classes on Film, and then when you get your computer, and before you spend a ton of money on either Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio, I'd do some work with iMovie. Unitl you feel like you've worked long enough with that, and feel as if you know the program very well, I wouldn't jump into FCP, IMO it would possibly discourage you to the point of not wanting to pursue film anymore if you don't know what you're doing.

21. Pad18 macrumors member

as a b-day gift my moms getting me a video camera..so what should i get then?

22. GoGoSamGo macrumors member

Well what exactly is your price range you are able to spend?

23. Pad18 macrumors member

24. GoGoSamGo macrumors member

Sadly to say I don't really know many that are in this price range personally. All I suggest to you is that purchase a camera that is 3CCD, other than that, since this is your first camera you could possibly stay small and get a smaller cheaper 3CCD for around $200-$400, and then save the rest until you are able to afford more of a advanced camera (which are higher up there in price). Or if you want a more advanced camera that takes more time learning, and I'd advise taking some classes on becoming a better camera person would be the Canon xl1 http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-XL1-Camcorder-barely-used_W0QQitemZ150114335668QQihZ005QQcategoryZ20330QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and yes it would be used, and yes you might need to save up or try and take your mom into adding another one hundred or two hundred, but if you're serious about becoming a Filmmaker and want to start with something that isn't basic nor advanced (yet let me warn you it's not going to be a easy camera to master, espically since you're new to this). If you have questions or anything else you can email me at GoGoSamGo@hotmail.com I'll be happy to help.

25. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

why not get the Canon HV20? clearly hi-definition is here to stay