1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Canon Launches New AirPrint-Compatible PIXMA Printers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Canon today announced that several of its newest PIXMA printers are now compatible with Apple's AirPrint technology, also acknowledging that the "majority" of the company's printers released going forward will support the standard.
    Full details are available through Canon's dedicated AirPrint site.

AirPrint debuted last November with iOS 4.2, but was limited to a handful of printers from HP at the time. HP has regularly added new AirPrint-compatible models since that time, but other manufacturers are just now getting on board with the standard. Epson announced several weeks ago that it would begin rolling out AirPrint support, and AirPrint-compatible Epson printers are now available.

Article Link: Canon Launches New AirPrint-Compatible PIXMA Printers

2. macrumors member

Well bummer, I have the MG5220. Nice to see other manufacturers adding the functionality though.

3. macrumors 68020

Do Macs support AirPrint?

4. macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What is Brother waiting for?

5. macrumors 604

ravenvii

O' Brother, where art thou?

6. macrumors 6502

what about other models?

I want my Canon PIXMA MX885 to be airprint compatible.

does anyone know more about 'older' models being updated?

7. macrumors 6502a

i just dislike the fact that 'airprint' may be used to markup the price.

8. macrumors regular

slightly

They don't need to. Macs and PCs use the printer driver model - many printers are supported by default in OS X, and for others, you can download the appropriate driver. And many of Canon's line are wireless capable, so you can print without physically hooking the computer up.

Matt

9. macrumors 68030

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

This. I have the MP 620. Don't want a new one, just want the one I have to work.

10. macrumors regular

Since when did AirPrint become a standard? The technology isn't even available to non-iOS devices.

I for one would be happy if it was a standard, then other companies might join in sooner.

11. JAT
    macrumors 603

It's about time some decent printers get included in Airprint. I may have to upgrade my older Pixma for this. Pretty tired of HP's poor networking tech, Canon's seems to be far superior these days.

12. macrumors 68000

thewitt

HPs ePrint protocol is available to anyone to license.

AirPrint is a collection of open, standard protocols that can be implemented by anyone on any wireless device.

Epson and Brother have both announced AirPrint compatible printers.

It will become the standard for wireless mobile device printing purely based on the overwhelming number of devices shipping with the capability.

It will be in the best interest of both printer and phone manufacturers to adopt it...

-t

13. macrumors regular

ePrint and AirPrint aren't related.

The only information I've found on the underlying technology is at http://www.finnie.org/2010/11/13/airprint-and-linux/ - so it looks like you're right, as AirPrint is now it's easy to replicate.

When Android or Window 7 Phone announce AirPrint support, I'll call it a standard. Right now these printers are basically just wireless iPhone accessories (much like AirPlay-enabled devices).

14. macrumors 68020

Try AirPrintActivator by netputing

Should work for all printers

Had an internet outage and needed to print from my iphone.
    (It works for ipad and iphone)

The printers need to be on your network and in sharing mode.
    Once you install the app all your shared printers show up on your iphone or ipad.

Worked like a charm for me with a 3GS. A little slow, but better than nothing.

Free download:

netputing.com

They do like a donation.

15. macrumors 68000

thewitt

Of course AirPrint and ePrint are related. AirPrint prints to ePrint enabled printers without sending the print job as an email message.

We have already written AirPrint drivers for the HTC, though they were done for a customer application and will not be released from us. It's a trivial combination of standard calls.

-t

16. macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

So is anyone suing Apple for a patent on Airplay. Come one someone...

Just have to ask since I love Airplay, Airprint, and my Air. :D

17. macrumors regular

So AirPrint depends on ePrint? I can't find any mention of ePrint on the Canon site. Did Canon license this technology and just didn't (or couldn't) use the term "ePrint"?

18. macrumors 68000

thewitt

It would be possible to implement a receiving protocol for AirPrint without licensing ePrint, however HP has made it available very reasonably so I suspect some of these other companies have simply licensed it. I don't know if they can advertise that or not.

-t

19. macrumors regular

:confused:

20. macrumors 6502a

This is what printer I have. I love it, but I would gladly trade it for an airprint enabled printer with similar features otherwise. I did get mine working via some hack awhile back. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it was. Found it someplace here. Only downside is that my desktop I installed it on needs to be on, otherwise it works beautifully.

21. macrumors regular

I can't seem to find this app or developer on the Apple App Store. Any other suggestions?:confused:

22. macrumors regular

Got it

I found AirPrint Activator for my Mac. I was mistakenly trying to find it in the App store so now I am all set, at least while I am at home :D