canon pixma ip5000

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by galstaph, Sep 12, 2005.

1. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I've been thinking about picking up a new pixma ip5000 printer as I need one (a printer). I just have some questions for those in the know.
    Do I have to worry much about the ink drying up or caking the head?
    I've also been told if I don't print with the colour often (1 or 2 times a week at least) that the cartridges will get screwed up?
    I will be using it primarily for essays and reports in school, I like the 2-sided printing and cheap inks, colour printing capabilities are nice to have as well, hence why I'm not really thinking of a laser (although my brother thinks I should get a laser because "ink-jets suck" [sic]).
    Any thoughts?
    also is there a way to hook it up to two (or more) computers at once? I eventually would like to set it up so I can print wirelessly from my ibook, but I would want it hardwired to my pc as well, (so it can print stuff).
    Thanks for your input

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

First of all, that is a very good printer for the money, I have the iP4000 and love it.

I don't think you have to worry to much about the ink drying up but I haven't had mine long enough to test that for sure.

As for sharing the printer, both Windows and Mac OS X have built in printer sharing. This means you hook the printer up to one computer and as long as that computer is on any other computer on the network can print to it.

Another option is the iP4000R. This is basically the iP4000 with built in WiFi for true wireless printing.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

It often goes weeks between i print with color on my ip5000 and i haven't had any problems. I have it hooked up on my iMac, and enables printersharing, so aslon my iMac is on i can access it from my Powerbook too.

The should be solutions to hook it up to the pc aswell

4. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

The inks and printhead are fine even if you dont print much. Im an instore Canon rep and just printed a huge 13x19 print off the i9900 which i know for a fact hasnt been printed from in atleast 7 months and the picture came out amazing. I also own the ip5000 and ip4000 and both dont get tons of printing from them but ive never had a problem with them sitting around for a while before printing. Enjoy your new printer that puts everything else its price range and more to shame.

5. galstaph thread starter macrumors 6502a

galstaph

just a thought, can the pixma be hooked up to share wirelessly using the airport express? or a stupid question (maybe) can I hook the usb output of the printer to a usb hub and then hook one end to one computer ant the other end to wireless adapter? will any of this work.
    I seem to remember reading some thread about this but don't remember if issue was solved.

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I have one plugged into my Airport Express...and it ROCKS!!!

7. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Is it neccessary to install the drivers from the included cd to use the printer? My old Canon printer was set up automatically, Tiger didn't need the drivers. Also - I know on PCs there is a small popup window showing the progress of the printing as well as the ink levels. Does that still occur when using the printer with 10.4? Thanks!

8. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You shouldn't need drivers, however you do have to use the Cannon software for borderless prints.

9. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Like yippy said, you'll need the Canon Software. I've got the iP6000 and it rocks, I haven't had a problem with it yet.

10. tjmcardl macrumors newbie

tjmcardl

I have the pixma 5000 connected to my win2k pc at home. The photos it prints are incredible--we printed all of our wedding photos with it. It's fast, quiet, uses ink reasonably, and the duplex printing is very useful. I've had no problems with it.

That said, I have never been able to print to it wirelessly from my ibook (with the printer connected to my pc) because the pixma 5000 is not supported by gimp print. It has Mac OS X drivers, so I can print on it if it's physically connected to the ibook. As I understand it, connecting it to an airport express should allow both computers to use it as if it were directly connected, but it won't work through a pc.

Tim

11. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

I have decided to get the iP5200 but am dissapointed I have to install the Canon software to print borderless on 4x6 paper...I thought I could simply do this in iPhoto! I got this from Canon's website:

*start quote*
    How do I use iPhoto to create borderless 4" x 6" prints?

To use iPhoto to create borderless prints, please follow all of the steps below:

1. While logged in as an Administrator, install Canon version 1.60 printer drivers onto your computer (with Mac OS X v10.2 or later as the operating system) and select the appropriate printer as the default.
    2. Launch iPhoto.
    3. From iPhoto, select and open the image you wish to print. (Please refer to the Apple web site for instructions on how to use iPhoto.)
    4. When you are ready to make a print, select from the "Menu Bar" "File: Page Setup".
    5. The "Page Setup" dialog will appear.
    6. Select the following settings:
    1. Settings: Page Attributes
    2. Format for: <Select the Canon printer you wish to use>
    3. Paper Size: 4x6 (borderless)
    4. Orientation: <Select the matching orientation>
    5. Scale: <Select the appropriate scale>
    7. Select "OK" and the "Page Setup" dialog will close.
    8. From iPhoto, from within the "Constrain" section of the browser window, select from the pull-down menu (i.e., the button directly above the "Constrain" label) either "4x6" or "4x6 Portrait". Then, using your mouse cursor, mouse-over the image and when the "Cross-Hairs" are over the upper left-hand corner of the portion of the image you wish to print, click and drag from the left to the right in a downwardly diagonal motion, releasing the click at the end of the image selection.
    9. Click the Crop button.
    10. From the "Menu Bar", select "File: Print", select your options, then select "Print".
    11. This selection, revealed in the iPhoto window will now print as a borderless, 4x6 print.
    *end quote*

Sounds like I don't need the Canon software right - as in I don't have to install anything in Tiger, it should be able to do it all itself? I just hate installing printer software, seems like a waste if I don't need to (I already use photoshop/iPhoto for my imaging work, I don't need any of the Canon crap).

12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, with my i960 Canon I had to install the Canon stuff to get "true 4x6 borderless" and so on. It does sound like you don't but I gave up and since then when I print up my photos I use the Canon sw and great prints every time. I'm not sure if it has to be but it works so I'm not fixng it anymore.

13. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

Use the canon easy photo print program. Its really uh...easy to use and will save you a lot of hassle with iPhoto. I have given up trying to get print true borderless with iPhoto since canons program works great and its easy ;)

14. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

So I can edit, photoshop, do whatever, then export (or whatever) to "easy photo" and print borderless? If that's the case, doesn't sound too painful. I just want to stay away from the Canon software as much as possible, I'd prefer to print borderless direct from photoshop.

15. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Yes, to print borderless with Cannon software.

1. Put pictures to print in a folder that you know where it is.

2. Open easy photo print software.

3. Choose the folder with the pictures in it.

4. Make 3 maybe 4 fast mouse clicks saying next.

5. Drool over the beautiful pictures that start coming out of the printer.

16. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Sweet. Also - does the little popup come up showing remaining ink levels and printing progress? It does on PC, does it on Tiger?

17. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

There is a popunder that displays the print progress. To see ink levels though you need to use Printer Setup Utility that can be found in the Utilities folder.

18. gibbon macrumors newbie

This doesn't seem to work over an airport connection. Anyone else find this or am i being daft?

19. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Ah, for remote printers I don't know anyway to check ink levels. I have always just gone to the computer that the printer is directly attached to to check the levels if I need to. Although I rarely care, I just print until it says get more ink and then replace the cartridge.

20. nobleman macrumors newbie

CD/DVD printing

Hello, my first post...
    I installed the printer but I cannot print CD/DVD... settings are not correct... any idea?

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Are you using latest version of cd label print.

Then makes sure page setup is set to CDR B Tray

Then makle printer properties, on media are Disc (Recommended)

Anyone know where to get an ip3000/ip4000

I have two but have worn out the printhead and canon dont make those models anymore, the new ones have the chip ib the cartridge and ink costs too much..

22. marcoammannati macrumors newbie

What Printer Now

Hi There, I have got a canon i9100 that has given me so many problems and finally now after having tried all sorts (cleaning, soaking of the print head as advised by http://www.photo-i.co.uk ) i am left with a printer that doesn't print and i have to bin it. I previously had a Epson 1290 which was slow but ok.
    I need to buy a new A4 photo quality printer and i am left with the dilemma of what is best: Canon IP6600 or older IP6000... or Epson R800... or HP...mmmm
    can u help?
    Many Thanks in advance
    Marco