Canon - Premature Death due to lack of Drivers

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oldMac, Feb 10, 2002.

What should I do with my Canon 3010 Bubblejet?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2002.
  1. Contact other 3010 owners and pile the printers in the parking lot of Canon US headquarters in prote

4 vote(s)
  2. Film a ridiculously outrageous and dramatic printer death video to voice my disgust with Canon. (And

9 vote(s)
  3. Start an obsolete printer club where the object is to disable your printer, and create something new

0 vote(s)
  4. Donate it to a local charity.

4 vote(s)
  1. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Well, I waited and hoped that Canon would release OS X drivers for my Canon bubblejet 3010. I emailed Canon support serveral times and received very friendly, non-committal emails in return.

But alas... now the web site admits that just isn't going to happen.

It's not so much that I bought the printer less than 2 years ago... Though that does irk me a bit. It was an older model when I bought it and I only paid about $60.

So, after spending too much time copying things into classic just so I could print, I went out this afternoon and bought a Brother 1440 Laser printer.

So, now the only question is...

What should I do with the old 3010 bubble jet?

BTW, the 3rd poll option should read "disassemble" rather than "disable". Why can't we edit our own polls in here?
  2. oldMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Update - Canon USA Headquarters = Lake Success New York

Does anyone live close to Lake Success New York? Anyone know where Cannon corporate headquarters is?
  3. oldMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Dramatic death video

Looks like the dramatic death video is winning.

Now I need suggestions!
  4. lilscoy macrumors member

Jan 1, 2002

Yeah, I was so upset when I found out that Canon probably won't make their drivers and software OS X compatible. I love my scanner! Shouldn't they have some deal!? I mean, Apple sells their cameras in their stores!
  5. palala macrumors member

Jan 16, 2002
    Long Island
    Close to it

Yeah, I live about a half hour away, even been there once...what do you want me to do?
  6. shergar macrumors member

Jan 13, 2002
    Canon obviously have some deep loathing of OS X, I have one of their scanners and have been hoping for some sort of OS X compatibility for the past six months...

As for you bubblejet, I can only suggest you stick a shiny apple logo on it, take some pics and post them on Spymac as a secret new printer...
  7. oldMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Good idea...

Maybe I'll have to run another poll after all the suggestions come in.

Here's a question for you all...

What do you think is the maximum air speed velocity that a Canon bubble jet could achieve? And... how fast do you think it could stop given the proper obstruction?
  8. oldMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001

Do you have a pickup truck? Or other vehicle capable of carrying a good number of Canon products?
  9. palala macrumors member

Jan 16, 2002
    Long Island
  10. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    My scanner is Agfa and my printer is Epson, I got them after realize everybody has them, they were good and cheap. I do not like to buy things when I see is a sort of experimental line with no too much future, but somethimes is hard to tell.
  11. grrr223 macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2002
    does epson have os X support for their scanners?
  12. Geert macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2001

I have the same problem with my BJC 3000, I bought this one just before the release of the beta version of OS X ( not knowing that drivers needed to be changed). Up until now, my printer is still not natively working under OS X, nor is my scanner (you guessed it, a canon). OK, canon is releasing nice new products, but their support to older hardware sucks!
    When I send an email to tech support Europe they friendly relpied that canon will not support, modify their driver for older hardware, they rather leave it up to third parties to make the printers OSX native.

I will not buy anything anymore which has the name Canon on it, I rather buy a HP, it looks like most of their stuff is working fine under OSX, and the results they produce are also outstanding so...
  13. Onyxx macrumors regular

May 5, 2001
    epson too!!

I have an epson 1160 13X44 wide format printer that is under 2 years old and cost me a fair piece of cash to purchase. right now the only reason i can't run osx is that epson has not released a print driver for my 1160. See you arent the only one dissapointed in inefficient driver recodes.

Might give in an and get a 1280 and sell the 1160. nah.
  14. bobky macrumors member

Aug 9, 2001
    ARGH I want drivers for my canon scanner!
    Does anyone know of a third party app that will work under X for my canon

Thats if canon are not releasing drivers.... I just thought they were slow....
  15. oldMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Found a worthwhile charity

Okay, so I've found a worthwhile charity to donate this thing to. So, all of you charitable types better vote.

Otherwise this printer undergoes a death of unimaginable cruelty. *bru ha ha*
  16. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    Anyone who connects to a networked HP laser printer will be pleased, osx connected to all 5 of works today with no problems!