Canon S900 drivers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dmlawrence, Aug 26, 2006.

1. dmlawrence macrumors newbie

I'm trying to make a Canon S900 work with my MacBook. The printer is connected to a Windows box, whiich is connected to the MacBook via wifi. Unfortunately, Canon's supplied drivers only support local printers. I tried using OS X's built-in driver for the Canon S800 and the printer did not work. Thanks!

2. warbler5 macrumors newbie

Canon S900 printer drivers vs my MBP

I am experiencing the same or similar issues! My Canon S900 printer is hard wired to a Windows XP box, and I use a WiFi connection between the MBP and the printer. The Mac sees the printer, and the S900 will even print (at about 1/10 normal size) using the S800 driver. I downloaded the S900 drivers that are supposed to work with my MBP, but they don't even show up after following the installation instructions.

Did you find a solution for your problem? :confused:

3. dmlawrence thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This question gets asked and answered every other day. For the 5,129th time, your solution can be found with the CUPS drivers bundled with Gutenprint or the Linux Foundation.

5. warbler5 macrumors newbie

It's always nice to be made to feel soooooo welcome when you get flamed on your very first post on a forum! :(

With that said, I found no downloadable solution for my problem....all the driver downloads that are there are the ones that came installed on my MBP. I guess I will be forced back to using my Windows box whenever I need to print something!

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I was not sending you around Job's barn. If the Gutenprint CUPS drivers are currently available on your machine, then you have to use Printer Setup Utility to setup your printer. CUPS documentation is included with the Gutenprint download. It will give you the information that you need.

7. LottaPossum macrumors newbie

Canon S900 substitute driver in Gutenprint

I have a Canon S900 happily printing via a wireless print server from my MBP. I found I had to use the Canon PIXMA iP8500 CUPS+Gutenprint 5.1.6 driver to get decent output. This substitute driver is not perfect - I also have to use a user-defined ("untitled") print page with 1/2 inch margins to make the printed pages look right. No bi-directional operation, though (no ink level reporting, etc.).

And now for the rest of the story... after 2 weeks of trying every posted way of getting my MBP to print over my wireless home network, shared with PC's, I struck gold. I bought a D-Link DPR-1260 wireless print server, and installed an LPD printer, with the Gutenprint iP8500 driver, and badda-bing, badda boom. PC's and Macs printing wirelessly. D-Link installation was automatic for PC's and took 2 minutes for my Mac (OS 10.5.2).

I cry for happy.