Canon SD630 Camera Shake icon

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by millerrh, Aug 29, 2006.

1. millerrh macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    I just got the Canon SD630 and notice something really annoying. I wonder if this is common to all Canon P&S cameras or if this is something wrong with mine.

It seems like the little camera shake icon that pops up under dim lighting happens ALL the time under any slight zooming. This icon also seems to be pre-programmed to happen at a certain zoom and independent of ISO setting or available light.

I would expect the camera would monitor the light/ISO setting, compare the shutter speed at that light/ISO with the zoom range, and display the camera shake icon only if needed.

Here's an example of what happens:

ISO = 80. At wide angle, no camera shake icon. I zoom in just slightly and get a camera shake icon. I switch to ISO = 800, keep the zoom the same and there is still a camera shake icon! I would think that kind of increase in ISO should account for any camera shake issues. This camera shake icon appears more than it doesn't.

Is it really that the camera shake icon is NOT intelligent enough to know what available light and ISO settings are? If so, what is the point of it? It seems rather useless or I have a defective unit.
  2. therevolution macrumors 6502

May 12, 2003