Canon who? Nikon D70 Outspecs the "Rebel"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Moxiemike, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

If this is in the wrong category, feel free to move it.

That said, Nikon's D70 is set to out-spec the Canon Rebel, AND the 10d, with a feature set that blows the 10d out of the water and a price comparable to the Rebel.

A great move by Nikon!

D70

$1299 with a GOOD kit lens (the Rebel's is toyish, for sure...)

The 18-70 features f3.5/4.5 (faster than the Rebel), AF-S (silent wave motor for fast focusing) and ED glass.

Wow. I'm surprised and excited. Might pick one of these puppies up! :D

2. Pseudonym macrumors regular

I've been waiting for these to hit the streets. Money is waiting in the bank! My local supplier reckons the beginning of March for a release - he had a letter from Nikon this morning.

As a knock on I guess the 300D will get a price cut. As long as the Nikon is as plastic as the 300D then Canon will have to make quite a cut to catch up.

3. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Not much point if one already owns a selection of canon lenses.

Why didn't Nikon do this sooner, I'd been waiting years for an affordable SLR Digital.

thanks Canon, my 300D is lovely.

4. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

NOt just that.... it's all in the lens! The Nikon's kit lens.... kicks the rebel to the kerb!

[​IMG]

5. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

The 300D, at first glance, looked ok. BUT I've heard the shutter life is 10k frames, i've heard horror stories of people putting canon's own lenses on it and the lens mount getting pulled off....

At least NIkon builds their products nicely!

6. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

umm...

the rebel does f3.5/4.5 as well. and it is 300 dollars cheaper with the lens.

the lens is actually quite nice. and if you want a better one don't buy the lens kit pay 800 then spend the other 400 to get one that will bust the nikon. if you like to shoot film the rebel is nice, it is just a camera, no gimmicky stuff. i like the nikon as well, but no real comparison can take place here. in truth, i think it is a matter of needs and opinion. if you are trying to review on a professional level, then neither camera really stacks up.

these are both high-end solutions for amateur photographers who want nice quality images. or professionals who are just getting into digital.

don't think the nikon really blows anything out of the water necessarily.

just my opinion though.

peace,
    technocoy

7. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: umm...

Nope. The lens is 3.5-5.6

And if i'm paying $1000... i don't want "just a camera"

To tell you the truth, the lens from the rebel.... it's not very high quality. The pictures are WAY noisy, and the CA is horrid. Plus, for anyone who thinks they can "just upgrade their body" when canon releases a new one.... the kit lens works only on the rebel. Crappy, eh?

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm curious to see what Canon releases next to replace the 10D - the Nikon D70 is a nice camera :D

D

9. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

exactly my point...

if you think the lens is crappy, spend 800, then buy a better lens. you will still come in at or under the price point of the nikon.

in a nod to the nikon, however. the buffer is quite nice. i guess it is all in what you feel that you need. I don't do that much high speed or high frame volume shooting, so the rebel (with a suitable lens) is all i need at the moment. if i am going to get any more advanced, i'll be spending well beyond the pricepoint of both cameras, so it becomes moot.

My wife has a butt-load of canon lenses, so it works out great for me.

but all i'm saying is that if this comes down to lens quality and capabilty, then the options available make either camera a nice choice.

the nikon/canon preference is personal and will always be argued.

spend 1300.00 get either the nikon with lens (nice lens)

spend 800.00 get canon without lens, then spend that 400.00 on a really nice one.

no argument, just saying that this comes down to brand preference. i think the hardware is neck and neck.

P.S. my bad on the f4.5 , i realized what you were saying after my post.

10. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Yea.

I think the 20d (or whatever) will be a 6mp $999 deal similar to the 10d.

The 300d is gonna go down to $699 (where it should have been initially)

And the you'll have a D200 from Nikon and maybe some sort of EOS 5d from canon that will both be $1799 and be 8mp something or others.

If my sources are right... bank on it. :)

I think the market for DSLRs is heading in the right direction:

$300 entry level

$700 mid level

$1000 semi-pro level

$2000+ high end

11. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Sony DSC-F828

Even though the sony DSC-F828 is not an SLR camera, I have to comment on it...

I recently purchased this camera. It is absolutely amazing. It's extremely quick at taking pictures. 7 burst. I am waiting on the Ultra II compact flash to get here to see just what capability it has a writing to the memory card. I used a regular CF and it was damn fast at writing the 8 mega pixel files (~3.5-4.1mb per picture). It took about 5-6 seconds to write to the disk. The Ultra II will write at much higher speeds (9mb/s).

Go to the nearest best buy and check it out. Tell them you want to use the CF or MS pro card. You will be amazed!

12. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Sony DSC-F828

Yea. Nikon has the CP8700 which is similar spec and compelling for most of the population... but the noise issues on ANY of those P&S's at antyhing above ISO 400 kills 'em for me.

That said, at low ISO, the Sony (and NIkon i'm sure, as they use the same sensor) are VERY nice cams.

But for me, I outgrew the noisiness of those at higher ISOs or longer exposures.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

When do your *sources* see this happening? You know I'm in the market - just waiting for something to come along :D

D

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

didn't you post not all that long ago saying that in general the rebel is pretty dang sweet, especially for the price? and now it's basically junk? strange.

sucks if anyone took your word fairly seriously and went and got one.

i just got one, not with the kit lens but with a 2 sigma lens thing from ritz. i'm happy with it. granted, i'm no pro.

15. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Well, the book has been rewritten. Nikon came along and raised the bar. You made a good move avoiding the kit lens, though for a $100 lens it's ok.

The rebel camera body is fine. But to say that it's cheaper than the D70... is nonsense. Considering a Comparable canon lens is $400... it's the same price. :)

Those sigmas however... are crossplatform so to speak, and are all around awesome

Your pics are probably head and shoulders better JUST because of those. They blow away all of the "low end" nikon AND canon lenses.

Mr.A:

PMA starts this week. Frm what I hear, there will be a 1d replacement from Canon, 8mp, similar spec to D2h. There will also be a D2x from Nikon which should be 11mp.

I also hear rumblings abot the D200 or something, which is supposedly 8mp and gonna be around $1799-$1999 from Nikon.

16. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

No doubt about it - the 10D is probably nearing the end of it's product life cycle (by Canon standards) - I've had mine for 9 months now.

Seem to think it was about 18 months between the D30's release and the D60, and about 12 from the D60's release to the 10D. So since I've now had the 10D for 9 months, the next one should be coming soon!

As for the lens issue on the Nikon, I can't see how anyone would put a lens under a grand on any camera (granted I am a semi-professional photographer, but lenses last for ever). People get so wigged out about pixel count, but if one samples a 12 megapixel "out of focus picture", it's still out of focus! Cheap lens perform so badly when wide open I think most people would be surprised. Buy less camera and more lens. When you upgrade to the next generation camera body, the lenses travel with you!

I once took a action shot in Spain with my D30, at 600mm - then cropped the picture and printed a 8x10 test print on a $150 Epson ink jet (on glossy paper). WOW, cou;dn't tell it from a traditional print. That won me over for life regarding digital, and also proves that it's glass over megapixels any day of the week - the D30 was "only" 3 megapixels.

(Aa proud owner of the D30, the D60, and the 10D, all of them were a welcome change to the $15,000 Kodak model (with the Canon lens mount) they replaced in late 2000. We've come a long way in 40 months!)

17. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I'd only amend what you're saying to putting "good" glass on a digicam.

the $500 Nikon 18-35 performs very nicely, similar to the 17-35 stopped down a bit for landscapes.

The $300 Nikon 24-85 is another one who's sharpness is KILLER and the contrast and AF-S focusing make it a bargain.

The $700 Sigma 70-200 (i just got one) is JUST as nice as the 70-200/80-200 images from the Nikon versions.

And of course, who can forget the 50mm 1.8 prime for $90!!! It's an icnredibly sharp lens, with great color and contrast.

If you do your homework, you can get good lenses.

Even the $230 Sigma set is nicer than the el cheapo Nikon and Canon offerings.

I had 2 28-90 USM cheapos when I had my 10d for a weekend, and I HATED them.

That said, I hated the whole Canon UI.... and went to the D100. BUt in any case, yes... if you research your lens choices, you can get great quality for under a grand. ;)

AND i'm a pro on a budget. :)

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I saw a review of the 828. It was extremely in depth. Especially when comparing image quality to that of the 10D, the 828 has more noise (even at ISO 64) due to it having more sensors in a much smaller area. Pixels (and specs) do a camera make. However, the Sony has a nice lens, and you would have to spend a pretty penny to match it on the Canon. Not bad for Sony's first try at a pro camera.

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Er, mike. What pro isn't on a budget? :D

20. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Hmm. Maybe a photojournalist who has a newspaper buy them gear?

There's lots of pro's out there who walk around with $8000 1ds's and $2000 Image Stabilisation lenses.

The lenses I mentioned are for pros who have tighter budgets, like eyelikeart and I. :)

21. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Right on - there always are a few good consumer lense that "sneak" through.

But your point about those sweet 50mm lens is REALLY true. So few people want to interchange lenses any more and just throw on a crappy zoom - most overlook the 50mm even though it's a great item for it's price / optical quality.

22. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I've gotten some of my best shots, wide open at f1.8 from my nikon 50mm!

Most people ask me "how long can a zoom that small be"

I just sorta laugh. Haha.

23. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Canon nor Nikon is going to put a "great" lens on a kit set up ...

the purpose of the kit is to get you started ...

like the posters before me said ... if you do your homework ... you can get nice lenses ... i like nikon ... but i'm sorry to say i can't afford to purchase their pro series of lenses

i've been very satisfied with SIGMA EX serious of lenses ...

the 105 mm 2.8 MACRO as an example is extremely difficult to notice and difference between the NIKON and the SIGMA version.

with that said ... i like NIKON camera bodies ...

i'm currently torn between getting a D100 or an F100 <--- not sure if i want to switch to digital just yet -- and whether the D100 will perform in sports the way i know the F100 does

24. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Take a look at the D70 my friend. For sports it should have some nice features and the body is $999... Would also make that 105mm Sigma (a great lens, I agree!) a 157mm!!

25. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

OH wow.. i just checked out the specs (they didn't have those the last time i looked)

6.1 megapixel -- good
    3 - frames per second -- pretty good
    1/8000 - 30 second shutter speed -- awsome (this was why i didn't want the d100)
    5 point focus -- exellentD Color Matrix Meter with 1,005-pixel RGB Sensor, -- fantastic

all for 999$

i'm ecstatic ...and i'm sold