Canon ZR200 Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cgingrich, Jan 12, 2006.

1. cgingrich macrumors regular

cgingrich

Hey Guys,

I'm just looking for some advice/feedback. I'm looking to buy a really affordable camcorder that's pretty decent. Basically I'm looking to record family stuff and maybe toying around with making a few short films. Nothing too professional, but I want a good camcorder.

I've looked at a few sites and have my eye set on a Canon ZR200 ($300). Does anyone have any experience with this model that could provide feedback. Also please post suggestions for any other camcorders that you think would be worthwhile checking out ($150-$350 price level).

I think I'm going to head over to circuit city tomorrow to check a few out.

2. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

I'm looking at the same model and at the $300 range it seems to be the best one.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i have an old canon ZR 40 and i love it.... i would definitely buy another canon camcorder again, for the price and image quality definitely a good buy. I know mine its compatible for imovie so that's a plus

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Canon announced a new line of the ZR series recently. IIRC the new $300 unit will be the ZR500. It appears to be smaller.

And the new Elura 100 at $399 looks very impressive.

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have a ZR-60 that is horrible in low light/indoors.. maybe the heads need to be cleaned but the video noise is horrible on my night time shots indoors with only a few floor lamps on full blast.

I only wish i could either find a setting that i am missing to mimimize the video noise on th ZR-60 (grainy in low light) or i was thinking just to upgrade to one of those Panasonic 3CCD deals that are around the $550 range.

I noticed in 16:9 mode the ZR-60 a bit less grainy, but still at times looks worse than i remember my Sony Hi-8 looked like in low light....

My XL1 on the other hand is great.. but you cant really compare the two.

Ed

7. gwangung macrumors 65816

Hm....I sorta thought the Sonys were generally better in low light...

From what I hear, the Eluras are good cameras...