CanoScan FB620U...Mac drivers?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by zagato27, Aug 18, 2004.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I've got a CanoScan FB620U that I used with my PC (recently converted to a G5 running Panther and won't ever go back to the "dark side" ;) ). Anyway, I'm wondering if I can get it to work on the G5. Been to Canon's website for Mac drivers and they don't have one for it. HOWEVER, they do have one for a CanoScan FB630U. Frankly, I can't remember what or if the difference is between the two models. Think I could use the 630U driver and it might work???? Any help will be appreciated. Cheers

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

there is only one way to find out and that is to try it! With a lot of scanners Canon have a similar installer, have that also with mine. They are pretty Mac-minded.

3. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Problems. Went to the OS X portion of Canon's web site for their scanners. You either have to have their "ToolBox" or Adobe PhotoShop 7 or Elements 2 to get their scanner up and running . Well, I don't have Photoshop or Elements and Canon doesn't support "ToolBox" for OS X and the FB630U. Looks like the scanner will be handed down to my son and his PC. Saw that the Canon LIDE 80 actually comes bundled with Elements 2 (a program that I've been wanting to get). Might be time for an upgrade. Cheers

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

that's true, but fortunately I have photoshop... too bad!

5. bigsteve3 macrumors member

Just so you know...I encountered the same problem (must have either Photoshop or Elements) but found a workaround.

I assume you've heard of the wonderful Mac program GraphicConverter (www.lemkesoft.com). First you need to download that and install it.

Second, download the DEMO of Elements/Photoshop and then install the Canon plugin.

Then, dig into the plugins folder of Elements/Photoshop and move the Canon scanner plugin from there to /Library/Application Support/GraphicConverter/Plug-ins/

Now, you can scan pictures in GraphicConverter by accessing the plugins menu!

Worked great for me (and you can delete the Demo of Elements/Photoshop after you've moved the scanner plugin).

-S

6. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Wow! I knew there were answers out there. Appreciate the info but might be hitting my "technological edge" so to speak but thanks again. Cheers